Why become a member? ×

NBD Harley Benton invasion

Andytre

i was suckered in by the deko bass posts and decided to take a punt and bought on of the black 4 string decoration acoustic basses, iv read a lot of them being in various states of playability, but this one is a diamond! There is nothing I can find that is wrong with it, neck straight (now) action low enough, electronics fine and the finish is pretty much perfect the only problem is it had the sticker inside for a 5 string fretless. I used to have an ibanez EAB acoustic and this new one is deffinately as good if not better! All for £40!

Also whilst on thomanns site (which I may visit a bit too frequently....) I noticed one if the kahuna Ubasses that was reduced for being B stock so for £80 I took a punt, these little basses are incredibly fun! Sound great and perfect for sitting in front of the TV twiddling with, iv never played one of the Kalas so I duont have anything to judge it by but it plays nicely and sounds great if a little quiet whe plugged into my Genz rig. I also couldn't find why it was B-stock as there is nothing I can find wrong with the build finish or electrics

I bought these a couple of weeks back and have meaning to get round to a NBD post, I'd almost forgotten to do one when, On my birthday Yeasterday my missus came around with a rather large box, what could it be I wondered, upon opening it up it turned out to be a harley Benton PJ-5 HT. She had obviously heared me chunttering about trying 5 string ( after being a 4 string player for 9years) and saw me in good old thomann looking for bargains, in the end she found a B-stock one for £77!

The PJ-5 is great can't get over the quality of the build for Price! the finish is nice and all the controls feel good (if a little cheap in places) the neck is nice and straight with no sharp fret edges and iv managed to get the action as low as I like with ease. It's easily as good as the squire basses iv had aswell as a couple of other budget basses that cost twice as much.the tone is nice you can get a nice P sound from the neck pup and a pretty good jazz sound from the bridge one, the overall output is a little low but i will probably be upgrading them any pay! (I find it hard to leave basses alone!) Iv never actually picked up a 5ver before so I can comment on how tight the Bstring is, but for me it's great, spent at least 2 hours messing about with my new low frequencies and will be picking it up again once ive finished this!

Overall these Harley Benton bargins have amazed me!

Great choices Andy.

I also have the black acoustic 4 string bass and the wee bass Uke.
I don't really get 5 strings so the P/J 5 HTR is not for me,same can't be said for the P/J 4 HTR ;)
It sounds great on the Thomann site so one day I'll weaken and buy it.

The Uke sounds amazing and it's so small :)

Congratulations

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1425063719' post='2703629']
I had the PJ 5, the only issue was the "tort" scratch plate, it's printed plastic and after a couple of months started to rub off to a whitish smudge where I anchored my thumb..
[/quote]

I got round this by covering the scratch plate on mine in white self adhesive vinyl (hated the red tort anyway). At some point I'd like to get a white pearl guard made for it but for now I'm pretty happy with it as it is.
I've been playing 5 strings for 17 years and owned basses costing well over 4 grand in that time and it may not be in that league obviously but I've found it to be a pretty decent and perfectly giggable bass (albeit as the OP says, with a bit of a weak output).

Edited by Painy

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1425146585' post='2704514']
Ten to five this morning.

Sure you weren't checking for Deko's AT :)
[/quote]

Ten to four!

I woke up and then went back to sleep again. My program was still checking automatically.

Returning to the topic, I don't think I've heard of anyone buying the HB PJ and being disappointed.

Edited by Annoying Twit