Why become a member? ×

Sitting cab on top of flight case?

onehappybunny

I'm thinking of getting back into playing in a band and may struggle to lug my lovely tube amp to every practice.

So... would it be feasible to sit a small cab (Barefaced midget or similar) or combo on top of a flight case to get it raised to a level where I can hear it at reasonable volumes? (or would that add extra unwanted boom?)

Or would it be better to get a monitor style cab that can tilt back (like a Fearless f110) and simply angle up at my ears?

Would be interested in your thoughts

Thanks

Stu

It's a great idea, at small gigs I sometimes only connect the top cab in my stack and the bottom one simply acts as a stand. You'll actually get less boom as the floor acts as a kind of mirror reflecting sound into the room, moving the speaker off the floor lessens this effect.

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1424905022' post='2701874']
Or would it be better to get a monitor style cab that can tilt back (like a Fearless f110) and simply angle up at my ears?
[/quote]

I've tried those tilt back style combos a few times and have always struggled with them.

Science probably doesn't say so, but it seems to me that pointing the cabinet at the ceiling instead of where your audience is creates a whole different set of problems to overcome.

My experience of them is that they sound fine where you're stood but have a tendency to be a little muddy sounding and quiet when you wander out front to hear whats happening.

Obviously, it's something you can learn to compensate for as you become accustomed to using it, but I'm a lazy git. :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1424911088' post='2701962']
I've tried those tilt back style combos a few times and have always struggled with them.

Science probably doesn't say so, but it seems to me that pointing the cabinet at the ceiling instead of where your audience is creates a whole different set of problems to overcome.

My experience of them is that they sound fine where you're stood but have a tendency to be a little muddy sounding and quiet when you wander out front to hear whats happening.

Obviously, it's something you can learn to compensate for as you become accustomed to using it, but I'm a lazy git. :D
[/quote]

The science says the upper frequencies go where the speaker points, so this is right. The kickbacks are really most useful when you go through the PA for the audience and only need a 'bit more me' on stage.

Thanks folks - interesting replies... so it seems like a flight case could work to raise up the cab nearer my ears (without being too boom-y), but that most folks here buy two cabs to stack... why does that not surprise me ;-) and that the wedge style only really works if you don't move around too much (probably ok for rehearsals and when using PA?)

Just wondering if anyone uses any other ways of raising the cab nearer their ears? Would popping a small cab on a table / chair / stands to raise it up work ok or is there a real danger of expensive kit crashing to the ground by it vibrating off or being pulled by a cable?

A flight case would enhance the coupling with the floor... as would another cab underneath.
Detaching it would undo that effect and that may be what you want but single 12's on their own
can be a weedy off the floor.
Directional monitors are just that... no one else will hear them or you unless the band have you thru
their monitoring...and then you are getting into how many mixes..?

[quote name='MOSCOWBASS' timestamp='1424943047' post='2702106']
I always keep my Barefaced Midget on the floor or somewhere you get boundary reinforcement. Experience of lifting up higher results in quite a lot of low end loss.
[/quote]In order to lose acoustic coupling with the floor the cab must be lifted at least 1/4 wavelength. 1/4 wavelength at 100Hz is 2.8 feet, at 80Hz is 3.5 feet, so in most cases there is no meaningful loss of coupling. What's perceived as a loss of lows is actually hearing the mids and highs that you can't hear when the cab is on the floor.

Of course Bill is right about the mids and highs but as he himself has said on several threads the 80-120Hz region is pretty important when it comes to our perception of bass, so depending on the height you raise the cab there will probably be a subtle but detectable suckout. My experience is that this usually ends up cleaning up the front of house sound, but this of course depends upon lots of other factors with room acoustics being the most important usually. Just warning you it might sound a little different really.

I used to do that with my old trace combo. TE 1215 GP12

I got a flightcase for it (like it wasn't already f***ing heavy) and used it on top of that. About 80cm to 1m off the floor with big casters.

It improved my onstage comfort a lot. My sound stopped sounding muddy and thumpy, i gained clarity wilst retaining the TE punch and i started to use a lower volume setting, so what's not to like? Go for it if you think you can handle the extra weight ;)