Why become a member? ×

5 String Jazz Project build finished!

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I got this 5 String project in a part ex with Shaggy. It consisted of a body made by Chop the bass with a slight spalt maple figure and flame maple mix. Two solid pieces. A mighty mite 4/1 P bass neck, Maple/Rosewood. Schaller hardware, Bartolini J pickups and an uninstalled Schack Pre-amp.

There has been a time put into the project.

First of all the bridge had to be relocated as it was out of line with the pickups and the neck. Neck bolts were then installed counter sunk into the body which i felt came out very well. The Schack Pre-amp was really hard to get wiring instructions for and had to get it mapped out before installation. However the pre-amp is world famous for its brilliance. There is a problem with the balance pot only because it is not a balance pot at all, but a standard linear pot! The Jack socket was installed into the back plate, A standard strat plate was used and angled up to the strap pin so i can wrap the lead around it easily.

The main problem with the project came when the neck was strung up with strings. The neck already had a bow, but when strings we're put on the bow became alot worse and the nut on the rod was already tight and stripped. The neck had to dissasembled and drilled into from the top and the bottom to get the truss rod out. A new one had to be installed, My luthier made one but turned out to not be man enough for the job. So instead of a 4 MM rod we had to order a 6 MM one. Neck adjustments came easy after that.

The string tree was installed and a rough Truss rod cover.

So whats left to be done is.

Get a matching black Knob for the Treble pot.
Install a decent balance pot.

Here she is!

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='262609' date='Aug 14 2008, 06:16 PM']Mr.Shockwave, that looks great! Loads of very expensive hardware has gone into that bass. I certainly hope it sounds great! You'd pay about £1500+ if a luthier was making a bass of that quality for you![/quote]

True the bits are quite valuable.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='262622' date='Aug 14 2008, 06:43 PM']Very, very nice indeed - well done! And there we were thinking you'd gone mad selling all your other basses... Now we can see why.[/quote]

Well it was half for this project and half to get a musicman stingray 5. Something else may be added to the stable in the next couple of months, but for now i need to get this project sorted out and get some debts out the way!

Edited by Shockwave

Sorry to hear you encountered problems with the bass. I'm not sure I agree with you about the bridge being in the wrong position. I've got numerous close-up pics of the bass before Shaggy bought it. The countersunk neck ferrules are meant to come out. You don't need to glue or force them in. They were a perfect fit (got pics of the originals!). I can't comment why the neck started to play up. It was a stock Might Mite neck that just got a lacquering. It all adjusted ok when it was assembled. Nice looking bass though!

Chop

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='262630' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:04 PM']Sorry to hear you encountered problems with the bass. I'm not sure I agree with you about the bridge being in the wrong position. I've got numerous close-up pics of the bass before Shaggy bought it. The countersunk neck ferrules are meant to come out. You don't need to glue or force them in. They were a perfect fit (got pics of the originals!). I can't comment why the neck started to play up. It was a stock Might Mite neck that just got a lacquering. It all adjusted ok when it was assembled. Nice looking bass though!

Chop[/quote]

This is what it looked like before the alteration.

As you can see the bridge didnt align with the pickups and was at a slight angle.

I know the neck furrels are meant to be like that.

Anyway, It cost me about 200 quid to put the parts together and to repair.

The controls on the bass are. Treble/Mid/bass/Volume/Balance/Active'Passive/Kill Switch.

The Schack pre-amp can be had for about £120 from the gallery and is the only place i can find online that sells it.

Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

Only just seen this; really impressed, although genuinely gutted about the amount of grief you've had with it. My fault for the misaligned bridge; pure impatience on my part!
Congrats Shockwave, hope you iron out the glitches, she's a real beaut already and potentially even better!