Why become a member? ×

New CreepJoint Track

cheddatom

The latest track from my band CreepJoint...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/creepjoint/overture-demo"]https://soundcloud.com/creepjoint/overture-demo[/url]

This has the heaviest drum sound I've ever done (kicks in after about 2 minutes) and I love it!

The bass is sounding pretty fiendish too. I'd love to hear some comments on the sounds/mix :)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1424710370' post='2699442']...
I'd love to hear some comments on the sounds/mix :)
[/quote]

Are you sure..? :unsure:

Disclaimer: I'm quite a fair way out of my 'comfort zone' with this genre of performance. That being said, and to reply more on the sound/mix aspect, I think you've done a very good job with that, blending together into a coherent ensemble. The bass gets a bit buried on occasions, being pitched so low, and I can well imagine the drummer to be enjoying himself (herself..?) immensely with such freedom of expression. I did find the over-driven guitar rather 'fizzy' (technical term...); I don't think it's my headset causing it. I was also pleased to be able to pick out most (not all, but most...) of the lyrics, which is, indeed, an achievement in this style; however, that may not count as a compliment. Heavy..? Yes; brutally so, despite the (maybe a tad over-reverbed..?) acoustic picking, which brought some sense of relief to the arrangement. I was also surprised at the ability of the vocalist to be able to switch from one register to the other without surgery. It does sound painful, though.
Is this the final mix before going to press, or a 'pre-prod' demo..? Not that it needs major work, just curious. Good stuff, all things considered; a lot of effort has gone into the construction, and it has paid off. I'd like to say it was an enjoyable listen, and I shall, as it's true. You can be justly proud, as should be all involved. Well done; thanks for sharing.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424874198' post='2701432']
Are you sure..? :unsure:[/quote]

Yes! Very much so. I'm constantly trying to improve

I'm playing drums in this band, it's loads of fun. The bassist is ace and lets me set up his pedal board and suggest basslines etc. The "singer" is quite a talented fiend indeed, to be able to switch from singing to "screaming"

When you say "acoustic picking" I guess you mean the cleanish electric guitars? I might try them a little drier. This is the sort of comment that's very helpful :) Also on the bass, I think you're right, perhaps a low-mid boost would help, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the snare.

Regarding the "fizzy" guitars, I hadn't noticed at all! Would you put a low pass in to cut everything over say 5-6KHz?

The song will be on the next album, but whether we use this recording or not I'm not sure... that';s miles off yet and it sounded so good I wanted to get it out to showcase the studio.

Thanks for all the feedback it's most appreciated!! :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1424874710' post='2701442']
Can't really comment on the intricities of the recording other than it seems mixed well enough and I can hear all the instruments, but I really enjoyed the song. Sounds like early-Mudvayne I thought!
[/quote]

Interesting, I've not listened to mudvayne in years! I'll have to check them out, cheers!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1424875429' post='2701453']...
When you say "acoustic picking" I guess you mean the cleanish electric guitars?...
[/quote]

:lol: Do you believe me now when I claim to have cloth ears..? I like the 'ish' in 'cleanish'..! :rolleyes:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1424875429' post='2701453']...
Regarding the "fizzy" guitars, I hadn't noticed at all! Would you put a low pass in to cut everything over say 5-6KHz?...
[/quote]

Maybe not as a 'blanket', but listen again to the 'chunking' (another technical term...) at 3:00, and the 'all-out' at around 4:00. Could do with a bit of taming..? Trust [i]your [/i]ears, rather than mine, though..! :P