Why become a member? ×

The Who, Quadrophenia Live 2013

Phil Adams

Watched this on Sky Arts over the weekend. Being a long standing Who fan wasn't sure I'd like it, but most certainly did. Alright, the voices are a little ragged, but they are entitled to be I reckon. What surprised me though was Pino on bass, playing a very low key role, you hardly saw him, he was muted in the mix, and tbh it could have been anyone on bass. He wasn't give any chance to shine at all.
There was a bass solo played by John on the screens, which seemed to be shown as a tribute to him along with tributes to Keith, fair enough Pino wouldn't tangle with that, but it's just like Pino wasn't there at all.
Brilliant show though.

I suppose it is because Pino isn`t part of The Who. I doubt many people know or care who Pino is. I only know about him via the forum when i took up bass. It is always going to be hard to take over from an iconic player, no matter how good or revered amongst bass players Pino is.

I saw the show live at the Manchester gig - it reminded my why I took-up playing all those years ago. Some of the most iconic music in the canon performed by an unbelievably strong band. The brass was wobbly in 5.15 but that apart, a staggering gig with brilliant sound in one of the worst venues in Britain. The only let-down was Pino - he played everything about right I think, but he was very muted in the mix. I think he was playing a Precision most of the time. Many of the tracks in Quadrophenia are driven by the bass-lines - my honest opinion is that Pino should have tried to emulate JE's tone - maybe use a Status? The video solo of JE sounded amazing so why the mud throughout the rest of the set? Maybe down to the mix (but not entirely)