Why become a member? ×

Jaco plays Jaydee

White Cloud

I think that's the fullest and best live bass sound I've heard Jaco get. With Weather Report Xawinul used to double a number of the bass parts live on synthesiser (notably Teen Town) presumably to get somewhere near the recorded sound, which seemed to have effects on the bass. When I saw Weather Report live I was a little underwhelmed by the bass sound, in comparison with the recorded versions.

As with all types of illness, medicine has moved on in leaps and bounds but the idea of someone with bipolar having difficult relationships with people sometimes and occasional medication relapse causing bizarre behaviour is still as valid now as then. However you wouldn't focus on a disabled person falling over and in a similar way we should not focus on Jacos sometimes strange behaviour in some sort of judgemental way - to do so demonstrates ignorance.

Some interesting stuff in this thread about his basses and bass equipment which I didn't know before.

Edited by drTStingray

To those who said that the sound was like a jazz bar and not a jaydee, I, can only assume that they have never played a jaydee. While mark king tends to mainly used one of its tones generated, it has a multitude of sounds and can reproduce a jazz sound, wal, more or less anything except a stingray, Jacob simply reproduce a jazz sound.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1424612416' post='2698235']
I think that would be a young Frank Gambale by the look of him.
[/quote]
It is.

What a great vid this is. Jaco is pretty clear-minded it seems, he says stuff that makes amazingly good sense and his playing is pretty fine.
Yes, it's a pity that Jaco died so young and that we "only" have the Weather Report, Joni albums and solo stuff (and of course the many live and rare recordings) but on the other hand, I'm afraid that if he'd been alive for another 5 or 10 years he'd have made some pretty terrible stuff, considering his mental and physical state at the time of his death.