Why become a member? ×

Squier Dimension Deluxe.

Painy

[quote name='inate_hex' timestamp='1423419525' post='2684562']

When I was chasing the MM tone I found out that the easiest way to obtain it was to save up and buy a musicman. It will save you money in the long run.
[/quote]

99 times out of 100 this would actually be the advice I would normally give myself. In my case however there are 2 mitigating factors:
1. As much as I like the MM tone, I've sadly never been able to get on with the ergonomics of Stingrays - neither the way the body sits against me or the feel of the neck in my hand.
2. Like mattbass6, this wouldn't be my main bass - just another string to my bow that's nice to have available - so justifying that kind of outlay on a bass that might get used for say 2 songs out of our whole set (and then only on nights when the drummer doesn't start us off into that number before I have a chance to swap over guitars) is gonna be pretty difficult.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1423440835' post='2684909']

99 times out of 100 this would actually be the advice I would normally give myself. In my case however there are 2 mitigating factors:
1. As much as I like the MM tone, I've sadly never been able to get on with the ergonomics of Stingrays - neither the way the body sits against me or the feel of the neck in my hand.
2. Like mattbass6, this wouldn't be my main bass - just another string to my bow that's nice to have available - so justifying that kind of outlay on a bass that might get used for say 2 songs out of our whole set (and then only on nights when the drummer doesn't start us off into that number before I have a chance to swap over guitars) is gonna be pretty difficult.
[/quote]

Have you tried the EBMM sterling? It has a smaller body than the Stingray and a thin neck like a jazz bass. It also has a 3 way switch for series, parallel and Single coil mode. The Sterling by Musicman do a cheaper version (the SB14). I think they are around £650 new, so probably could be had on the used market for around £400.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1423556319' post='2686158']
The Sterling could be worth a look used as well then (although it would have to be a fiver - get completely lost on 4 strings these days).
[/quote]
They don't do a 5 string version. The squier will probably get you close enough for your needs.

• 7 years later...