Why become a member? ×

Peavey G5 on way!

AndyTravis

So after selling my roscoe beck V in a fit of idiocy before christmas, I admitted defeat and realised I'd need a fiver.

I wanted a 35" and preferably a high spec. The issue is that I blew the bass fund over Christmas and spoiled the wife and kids, and treated myself to a Danelectro DC bass.

Skip to last week and a Peavey G5 crops up on eBay. So, with heavy heart I listed the Danelectro on here and Ebay - it wasn't being used as my precision is like home and I don't really need another 4 string.

And it sold straight away, thank god!

The peavey will be here on Wednesday/Thursday and I can't wait.

If you're not familiar its a US made bolt on Cirrus, but the neck is carbon fibre (not fully, think it's a wooden core if I remember rightly)

http://instagram.com/p/ykk0MEOQW8/

Sorry for the random outburst, but this was a bit of a hectic sell quick/buy a bargain race against time thing, which could've ended up not working out - as you've probably guessed, I'm fairly excited.

Edited by AndyTravis

I've the G bass Andy, with the single VFL.

There might be a difference between the Cirrus and the GV. I A/B'd my Peaveys on Friday for an American fella,he
wanted to know how the Forum neck was against others.

The G bass has a slim 38mm Jazz neck whereas the Cirrus was 42mm but also had a thinner profile like the G bass.
The B-90 has the same style neck as the Cirrus.

Oh Man just checked the pic. I'd say you've won a watch there,thank god I don't do 5 strings or I would be jealous as hell.
Be looking forward to hearing your thoughts later in the week.

Congrats are in order I think. Well done that Man

Cheers, think we discussed your G 4 string when you got it (in fact I think I asked 1st refusal if you hated it).

It should really be what I need to cover everything, as long as the B is as good as I think it will be and it's not a boat anchor weight, I'll be laughing.

The case it's coming with isn't an original peavey one, although it's brand new so I'll probably be selling that on - I have a double case and won't need it.

Anticipation is a killer 😂

Edited by AndyTravis

Anticipation IS a killer :D

Can't see it being a boat anchor by any standards, even the much mentioned T-40's averaged between 10 - 11 lbs.
About the same as a £1.99 bag of spuds or as I found out last night less than a 3 month baby :o

Handy not needing the case,sell it on and try out different B strings :)

You did get 1st refusal but I ain't selling. Roll on Wednesday ma Man.

Yeah, the B should be solid enough - I'm currently hating some taper wound strings I have on my 5 string Jackson c5. They really suck the life out of the lower strings.

I'll be putting some chromes on that once the peavey arrives. Or flats on the peavey, we'll see.

The magic shipping number has appeared on eBay. Pretty exciting stuff.

There's a video on YouTube of an older chap in a church playing along to a hymn on one of these, and it sounds wicked from what you can actually hear - I've played cirrus (both US and BXP) previously and have always liked them.

One of the best basses I've ever had. It had a couple of issues I had to work on (like shimming the neck pocket for lower action), and it required a little more relief than I cared for (but that's just me being an annoying nerd). It was, however, an awesome bass and I deeply regret having sold it.

You can see mine in action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQ046y39RY

[quote name='biro' timestamp='1422960583' post='2678771']
One of the best basses I've ever had. It had a couple of issues I had to work on (like shimming the neck pocket for lower action), and it required a little more relief than I cared for (but that's just me being an annoying nerd). It was, however, an awesome bass and I deeply regret having sold it.

You can see mine in action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otQ046y39RY
[/quote]

Aha! Watched that video when researching, very funky 😋
The one I've bought has a micro tilt adjuster for the neck, so If needs be the adjustment is there.

From the pics I've seen though it looks like a low action - I'm sure it's eminently tweak able though.

Hoping tomorrow is the day!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1422986892' post='2679205']
Aha! Watched that video when researching, very funky
The one I've bought has a micro tilt adjuster for the neck, so If needs be the adjustment is there.

From the pics I've seen though it looks like a low action - I'm sure it's eminently tweak able though.

Hoping tomorrow is the day!
[/quote]

Mine too had a microtilt, but it seemed a bit flimsy to me. Actually, I didn't really shim the neck, but rather had a luthier friend add some angle to the neck pocket (á la Gibson). But then again, I used to play with crazy low actions. I am sure you'll be fine!

Also, the radiused pick ups were very nice!