Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Bass and the need to downtune. Advice welcome.

jtotheltotheo

All

Is there a production short scale bass out there that can hold coming down a step without horrendous buzz?

I get the physics of string tension. Have tried Fender VM SS, Hagstrom HB-4 and ALL the Squiers, and it's higher clearance nut/bridge back as far as poss at a minimum, even raising the bridge which is hell on intonation. Had frets stoned and dressed, even tried flats (didn't get on with them).

Is it time to get one build for the job?

Cheers

Jordan

[quote name='jtotheltotheo' timestamp='1422119030' post='2668920']

Is there a production short scale bass out there that can hold coming down a step without horrendous buzz?

[/quote]
The buzz is because the bass needs setting up for the new tension - just like any other string change.

If you are going to tune down to D-G-C-F then you'll be best off with a heavier higher tension set of strings but there is no reason it can't be done. Newtone will make you a set if you aren't happy with any other set.

It's true that a 34" long-scale bass with a capo at the second fret will be operating as a 30.3" scale bass, but if you want it tuned a whole step down then you would need the long scale tuned C-F-Bb-Eb, so that doesn't solve your problem.

To answer your question, jtotheltotheo,
[center][i]"Is there a production short scale bass out there that can hold coming down a step without horrendous buzz?"[/i][/center]

Yes - with the right string selection, a good setup, and suitable technique - you should be able to get several steps down without lots of buzz on the majority of short scale basses - at least the 30" and ups!. Probably won't get as low action as a longer scale - but it should work. As long as you turn the volume up and play lightly - you should be able to play in drop D or D standard - with most medium or heavy gauge strings (e.g. 45 or 50 for the G) - which doesn't feel as tight on a short scale anyway.

That's my 2c.

Edited by PlungerModerno