Why become a member? ×

My first bass project

Johnm93

I picked up this Suire P-bass from Croydon's favourite pawn broker for 80 quid.

[attachment=181509:P_B_1.JPG]

It was up at 120, but they had a sale...

The label says "Faulty Button"

[attachment=181510:P_B_2.JPG]

Which means the volume knob goes round and round and round and ...

So, I reckon, new volume and tone pots, replace the missing strap bobbins, new strings, clean up and set-up.
Should be a good 'un.

John.

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1422040635' post='2668182']

Apart from a Hotshot for drop D tuning, not really.

That being said, any suggestions for 'better' pots and pickups?

John.
[/quote]
WRT pots there are cheap rubbish ones on the market, but provided you get the replacement from a reputable guitar parts seller, there's not much to chose between them. I get most of my parts from WD Music in Kent.

You could change the pickups and get a e different tone. Some people here have their favourites such as Seymour Duncan QuarterPounders. What do you think of the sound of the bass as it is? Does it work?

Is the volume pot connected to the circuit? it may be snapped off at the wires . . . rather than the wiper in the pot being broken.

If the potentiometer is wired in, firmly screwed onto the pickguard, and still turns without stopping - time for a new pot <_< . Unlike a vintage or high quality pot, it's not really worth getting repaired / serviced.

As for mods - does the bass produce sound - and does it have grounding issues, hum etc. I'd try to take care of any issues I could before beginning modding. If it hasn't been shielded with copper, aluminium, or shielding paint, I'd start there.

Oh - and have fun, and good luck. Experimenting with an instrument is fun. I found Dave's world of fun stuff over on youtube a fun way to see how someone can approach some of the most common electric instrument "gooches" and what to do. If you have a few you can check it out here: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BKTfJLVwA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BKTfJLVwA[/url]

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1422088285' post='2668498']
WRT pots there are cheap rubbish ones on the market, but provided you get the replacement from a reputable guitar parts seller, there's not much to chose between them. I get most of my parts from WD Music in Kent.

You could change the pickups and get a e different tone. Some people here have their favourites such as Seymour Duncan QuarterPounders. What do you think of the sound of the bass as it is? Does it work?
[/quote]

No - nothing happens when it's plugged in.
As I mentioned, the volume knob just spins around and around.
Kind of prevents a 'before and after' comparison.

Been looking at a set of BassLines on t'interweb...

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1422222925' post='2670127']
Oh my god, how do you not know of KiOgon's wiring harnesses?

He'll put together a P-bass wiring harness made out of top quality materials for a great price. New pots, knobs, capacitors....everything!

PM him now, he'll sort you out :)

Truckstop
[/quote]

Umm, not sure how I hadn't, but not heard of a lot of things...!

The standard cannot be described as a 'loom' - right mess.

Hw do they drill the hole for the bridge earth wire...?

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to disagree, but the wire to the jack looks like a screened cable with the screen core going to the earth of the jack and the core going to the other terminal of the jack. If this is the case Howie is, regrettably mistaken.

Can you take a better quality pic of the electrics? That might help.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1423404023' post='2684359']
Well, like I said I can't SEE anything like a ground wire connected to the output jack but that's based on a pretty grainy low res image...
[/quote]

That makes two of us :) Unless the original 'tech' thought he could rely on the shielding acting as the ground?

• 1 month later...

Right - the Squire is back from a re-wire job.

The Seymour Duncans are in, all the wires are new - and neater - and th new volume pot is in.

One problem - the pot is a lot larger than the original.[attachment=186372:IMG_1770.JPG]

So, a neat slot was cut. [attachment=186374:IMG_1774.JPG]

Boom - all good so far.

John.

• 1 month later...