Why become a member? ×

Owning and Gigging high end Basses

No lust in Jazz

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1421508015' post='2662083']
I'm thinking about buying a Fodera or similar, can you enjoy a bass that you've paid around £4000 for and what, if any, are the pitfalls of owning and gigging high end basses?
[/quote]

Having to keep your eye on them the whole time you're at the bar.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1421760220' post='2664606']
I have probably £4-5k (new replacement price) of Shukers/Dingwall on my guitar stand at every gig, posh wedding or local pub. Doesn't give me a second's thought, tho obviously I keep an eye on them. I've gigged every bass I've owned.
[/quote]
That's the way to do it.

Not a bass, but I used to gig my Blackmachine 7-string that I've just sold on for >7000... and in some pretty dodgy venues too. Instruments are supposed to be gigged! I just kept a very careful eye on it.

I haven't toured for years, but I may be a bit more circumspect when there's a lot more variables.

Edited by hairychris

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1421707732' post='2664258']
This is a really good point. I'm surprised that we rarely get people,at our shop buying basses and saying they are to record with rather than for gigging. Obviously we get a lot of customers who record regularly but they generally seem to record with whatever their main gigging basses are.
[/quote]

I bought my first bass 'just to record with'. You can guess the rest!

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1421760227' post='2664608']

Having to keep your eye on them the whole time you're at the bar.
[/quote]

I think your average idiot that might try and lift a bass or guitar would take a Fender over a Fodera or a Ritter, etc, A MIM Jazz on a stand nearer the front of the stage would probably be a good safety net?!

I gig all my ACG basses; no point owning a beatiful bass if you don't play it. That having been said the replacement cost for them ranges between £800 and £1,600 so not in the Fodera et al price range, but still not an insignificant amount of cash by any standard.

I do have a bass for the less salubrious venues though.