Why become a member? ×

Mini toggle on/on/on switch replacement

tbonepete

Hi Bass chatting repair supremo type people. I'd appreciate a pointer or two in finding a replacement for a toggle switch which controls the mid frequency on one of my basses. The middle position doesn't always make a good contact and can lead to volume reduction, and or crackling/popping. I want to replace like for like, but I can't seem to find the right style for my needs. The switch is on a bartolini 3band circuit and controls the mid freq. I've had no luck so far in contacting bartolini direct, but if it's any help the images of their preamps show the exact switch I'm after ( but prewired to the complete harness).
Any pointers on the whereabouts of the exact switch would be much appreciated.

Cheers Pete

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1420580167' post='2650997']
how many lugs has it got underneath?
[/quote]

Hi Paul,
It has 6 lugs. It changes the mid freq from 250/500/1000, and is shown in the images for bartolini pre's that I googled. I'm after the exact style/type. I can get other styles but that's not what I'm after. Hope that helps, thanks.

Cheers Pete

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1420580230' post='2651000']
Tried cleaning it? Might just need a little Servisol?
[/quote]

Hi Moos3h,
I did buy some servisol switch cleaner some time ago for a scratchy pot on an amp, but before using it I read quite a number of articles/posts from all sorts of different sources that stated servisol switch cleaner wasn't necessarily kind to plastics in the long run, so I never used it. Claims about deoxit seem much more favourable, but I can't source that locally, hence me thinking I'd be better off trying to find an exact replacement part. This is proving to be a task too!

Cheers Pete

I use Halfords own brand Electrical Contact Cleaner spray and have used it inside pots and toggle switches (sprayed in from the toggle side for the sealed units I've encountered) and it's been fine. The can is marked thus "Safe to use on metal, most surface coatings and plastics" and it evaporates fairly quickly.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1420586992' post='2651123']
I use Halfords own brand Electrical Contact Cleaner spray and have used it inside pots and toggle switches (sprayed in from the toggle side for the sealed units I've encountered) and it's been fine. The can is marked thus "Safe to use on metal, most surface coatings and plastics" and it evaporates fairly quickly.
[/quote]

Hi Howie,
Thanks for that,
I've bought a can, and will try tonight as a first port of call.

Cheers Pete

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420595161' post='2651203']
It's hard to see on their website, but this one is the right spec from an electronics point of view:

[url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/guitar-and-bass-electronics/products/mini-switch-dpdt-on-on-on"]http://www.allparts....h-dpdt-on-on-on[/url]
[/quote]

Hi icastle,

Wow,
Yes that appears to be the exact one (including the spec stamped into the side plate. Thanks for that, I have bought some cleaner recommended earlier in the thread to try, but if not then I shall get on of the parts you found.
Many thanks again :)

Cheers Pete

If it's definitely an on/on/on version here's your chap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-BLACK-ON-ON-ON-DPDT-FLAT-LEVER-GUITAR-OR-BASS-MINI-SWITCH-EP-0080-003-/331217384685?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d1e1834ed

but there is also just a DPDT switch over version available too! - I 've just bought an on/on/on myself but decided to change from a flat lever pictured to a round end. All parts do them and the part number is EP 4180-003, also in black.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1420645320' post='2651688']
If it's definitely an on/on/on version here's your chap:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-BLACK-ON-ON-ON-DPDT-FLAT-LEVER-GUITAR-OR-BASS-MINI-SWITCH-EP-0080-003-/331217384685?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d1e1834ed

but there is also just a DPDT switch over version available too! - I 've just bought an on/on/on myself but decided to change from a flat lever pictured to a round end. All parts do them and the part number is EP 4180-003, also in black.
[/quote]

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the link. I've bought some contact cleaner from halfords that was recommended earlier as a first try, and it seems I've had some success as the switch makes a good contact in all three positions now. The downside to this is I have now noticed a considerably large POP sound (enough to activate the clip light on my amp) when switching positions (any of the three settings). Now, to be honest I don't remember if it's always been that way, or this is a new development! The POP is loud, and not dependant on the eq settings, or pickup blend settings, but is volume dependant, so I could just turn the vol down when flicking between settings I suppose. I don't know if this is normal as the only other toggle switches I have on my basses either go between active/passive (fender), or Coil tap (sandberg).
If any BCers have any insight into the POP noise I'm all ears for an explanation/remedy.
Please, and thankyou.
(By the way, to answer your first point, yes, it definately is an on/on/on switch, exactly like the one in the all parts link)

Cheers Pete

I think some slight popping is inevitable on toggle switches (due to contact bounce I believe) but make sure that the sound you heard wasn't residual switch cleaner inside the contacts - in other words have you tried it after the spray evaporated fully?

Update.......
I removed the switch from the cavity and masked the wires and cavity from spray, and gave it another good squirt of the Halfords contact stuff, then blew that through with an air duster, then feeling brave (mainly because I now know that I can get an exact replacement part), I gave it what for with the servisol super 10, and thoroughly wiped the outside of the casing. followed this with the air duster, and re assembled.................Bob's your uncle, and Charlie's your aunt, SUCCESS! quiet as a mouse when changing settings, but a full signal from each of the settings, so I'm a happy bunny. Now to put it back in the box and play my usual basses again lol!!!!
Thanks to all that contributed.

Cheers Pete :)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1420739679' post='2652882']
I think some slight popping is inevitable on toggle switches (due to contact bounce I believe) but make sure that the sound you heard wasn't residual switch cleaner inside the contacts - in other words have you tried it after the spray evaporated fully?
[/quote]

Thanks Howie, I guess that's what was happening.

Cheers Pete