Why become a member? ×

NMD - G&L M2000 now with single coils on tap!

Romeo2

I had Martin from the Bass Gallery in London install two three-way switches for the humbuckers in the M2000 so I can now switch inner and outer coils on both, plus have them as they are originally in series mode. Now it sounds exactly as I wanted, jazz on steroids, and the amount of different tones is mind blowing.

Here's some before and after pics.

J territory in terms of single coil hum, yes, but hardly noticeable and only when bass is solo'd and volume all the way up; definitely way quieter than a MIJ '94 Jazz I used to have.

Mr Petersen suggested another wiring for this, ie change the series to parallel, said it should sound as good as the single coils but hum-free. Current set-up is great, it's as if the humbuckers cleared their throats, no distorted farts even with maximum eq on any of the frequencies with single coils dialled in.

Edited by Romeo2

My old Westone Spectrum LX (it's a super PJ) has a coil-tap switch for the humbuckers which gets it close to a single coil sound (without introducing noise and the volume drop isn't that much) though the bridge pickup doesn't really sound like a Jazz should - probably a result of the placement and pickup aperture. I keep wondering whether I should change the 3-way pup selector to a blend pot... :scratch_one-s_head: