Why become a member? ×

Sterling by MusicMan Sub Series Ray 34

Jigster

There's been a lot of chat about these Indonesian made basses, both on here and I followed a huge one (ooh er) on Talkbass. Main issues being the preamp I think, and how it plays and sounds. I used it in a live band situ last night (albeit rehearsal), with a full on drummer and loud, effects drenched guitarist (but I love em both :D[size=4] )[/size]

So I picked mine up at PMT Brum last week. The finish is generally good, a few sprouting fret edges, but not worrisome. Smooth VERY playable neck and board. Good action that looks usefully adjustable, although once I'd replaced the stock strings with a new set the action was looking good anyway, with no need for adjustment. So I think it's generally a well set up instrument, no horrors or bendy boards etc.

I wouldn't profess to be an expert, but the hardware seems okay, sturdy tuners, kept tune, an EBMM imitation bridge that lacks chunk, but does the job.

So the sound. I read lots of posts about the preamp being grossly overdriven. That wasn't my experience. The rig in the rehearsal room is a bog standard Laney into a 4X10. Set flat on the EQ, gain at 12 noon, volume at 12 noon. The sounds I preferred most on the bass controls was a tweak past centre dent on bass, and for treble, a small tweak below the centre dent, (the highs were quite shrill). The bass was perfectly audible and sounded fine in the mix. Yes, the E is a whopper and sounds angry and growls. It's not very subtle, but I think that was my overall feeling with this bass/preamp, ie. I've owned two USA Stingrays previously, and they both had more breadth and nuance within their signature sound. To my ears a Stingray is a tight compressed mid driven growl machine, but on my previous two there was also a richer more welcoming bottom end. This bass seemed to lack that - ie. it's tight, punchy as hell, growly, but no saturated warmth to see out the lower notes. Indicative of course of the price bracket it is manufactured within. It sounds like a Stingray in a cosmetic way I think - that's the best way I personally would describe it

This is just the sense I got. Everyone's ears are different. (Looks at Terry Wogan's, or Alexander Armstrong's on 'Pointless' :P[size=4])...but, certainly it's playable and giggable and the general preamp/PUP set up, on mine anyway, is not as hot or as unwieldly as some posts have claimed.[/size]

Is it worth the price? (I've seen prices vary around £280 ish to £299). I'd say yes in that for this price you get a well constructed bass that has the presence to survive a gig. The tone of that presence, is, as I've alluded to, dependent as always, on taste. It's certainly a bass worthy of modding, not to tame the preamp, but that a John East or something similar might broaden the sound somehow and reduce its almost TOO tight raspiness.

Here she is ....

[attachment=179631:WP_20141231_001.jpg]

Edited by Jigster

Good review Jigster, when I see the big bridge plates on them I always think sticking a row of foam blocks on , it would look good from a distance, making it look like a pre EB bridge which I presume is the idea of the big plate anyway from a design angle? with a bit of drilling you could probably fit a complete spring assembly that comes with the spring plate, 4 thumb screws and foam pads, all it would need is the captive nuts gluing into the body behind the bridge and the four holes putting throught the bridge. John east preamp, file the fret edges here and there and you have a sort of pre EB stingray and a grand spare! :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I've been tempted for years to go down the MM route at least a little... looks like this might be a way of doing that without breaking the bank. Though I might miss the big bottom (fnarr) somewhat, especially as I've been playing a Spector... great value though, by the look of it. Good review. :)

Edited by discreet

• 2 months later...

Good post & review!
This.
[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1420020995' post='2644834']
The finish is generally good, a few sprouting fret edges, but not worrisome. Smooth VERY playable neck and board. Good action that looks usefully adjustable, although once I'd replaced the stock strings with a new set the action was looking good anyway, with no need for adjustment. So I think it's generally a well set up instrument, no horrors or bendy boards etc.

I wouldn't profess to be an expert, but the hardware seems okay, sturdy tuners, kept tune, an EBMM imitation bridge that lacks chunk, but does the job.

So the sound. I read lots of posts about the preamp being grossly overdriven. That wasn't my experience. The rig in the rehearsal room is a bog standard Laney into a 4X10. Set flat on the EQ, gain at 12 noon, volume at 12 noon. The sounds I preferred most on the bass controls was a tweak past centre dent on bass, and for treble, a small tweak below the centre dent, (the highs were quite shrill). The bass was perfectly audible and sounded fine in the mix. Yes, the E is a whopper and sounds angry and growls. It's not very subtle, but I think that was my overall feeling with this bass/preamp, ie. I've owned two USA Stingrays previously, and they both had more breadth and nuance within their signature sound. To my ears a Stingray is a tight compressed mid driven growl machine, but on my previous two there was also a richer more welcoming bottom end. This bass seemed to lack that - ie. it's tight, punchy as hell, growly, but no saturated warmth to see out the lower notes. Indicative of course of the price bracket it is manufactured within. It sounds like a Stingray in a cosmetic way I think - that's the best way I personally would describe it
Is it worth the price? (I've seen prices vary around £280 ish to £299). I'd say yes in that for this price you get a well constructed bass that has the presence to survive a gig. The tone of that presence, is, as I've alluded to, dependent as always, on taste. It's certainly a bass worthy of modding, not to tame the preamp, but that a John East or something similar might broaden the sound somehow and reduce its almost TOO tight raspiness.
[/quote]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also of note, is the fact that the pick-ups are MUCH quieter than the 2010 models. Apparently they changed them and re-voiced them to be quieter, and it worked. No more annoying buzz! This is my tobacco sunburst 'Ray 34' (2011 model): -[/font][/color][/size]