Why become a member? ×

Too much

Bilbo

Listings for a local carnival in Felixstowe.

Saturday 9th August 2008

4:30-5:30pm Louisa Gaylard
5:30-6:00pm Michael J Fitch
6:00-7:00pm Mohawk
7:00-7:15pm Bin There Drummed That
[b]7:30-8:30pm Bad Boys - Wham Tribute
9:00-10:30pm A Saucerful of Floyd (ASOF)[/b]

Sunday 10th August 2008

1:00-2:00pm Stagecoach theatre group
2:00-2:30pm Michael J Fitch
[b]2:30-3:30pm Jade Adams - Elvis tribute[/b]
3:30-4:00pm Michael J Fitch
4:00-5:00pm Storm - Top rock covers band.
[b]5:30-6:30pm Counterfeit Quo - Status Quo tribute band[/b]
7:00-8:00pm The Talent
8:00-8:15pm Bin There Drummed That - is this all junk music!
[b]8:30-9:30pm The Spice-ish Girls - a Spice Girls tribute[/b]

Thats FIVE tribute bands is two days. And that doesn't include the covers bands. These events are funded out of public money. We are all told to support local businesses but, when music is concerned, this is clearly not necessary. All the PRS royalties will be going to the poor little urchins behind Floyd, Wham, Quo and the Spice Girls and Elvis - I guess their need is greater.

Personally, I still think its a national disgrace. :)

The public wants covers and tribute bands. That's one reason why it's so difficult for an originals band to get anywhere. If it's what the public wants, I don't see a problem spending their money on it.

If your argument is that public money should be spent in the interest of furthering culture (or however a clever person would put it) then I totally agree, but I think it's for my own selfish reasons rather than any noble ideas about society progressing.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='257933' date='Aug 8 2008, 11:30 AM']And, is it me or is Michael Fitch a Councillor?[/quote]

Is it a quiz? My money goes on Fitch being the Councillor - if you were the councillor, I doubt there would be so many tribute bands and Michael Fitch wouldn't be on stage 4 times.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='257992' date='Aug 8 2008, 12:28 PM']Generally I'd rather hear a DJ than a covers band - too many hacks out there that create groove-free areas - at least you know a DJ can't mess up the music![/quote]
Shame on you, preferring a DJ to working musicians. Keep music live? Even hacks can get better with practice.

[quote name='chris_b' post='258033' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:06 PM']Shame on you, preferring a DJ to working musicians. Keep music live? Even hacks can get better with practice.[/quote]

Blame those that hadn't done enough practice before I heard them.

I think the tendancy towards tribute bands is simply fulfilling what the predominantly middle-aged audiences want - to hear the music of their youth over and over again.

Alex

I think it's possible you aspire to something other than simply to complain. I'm guessing that what you would actually like is an educated public that enjoyed encouraged and supported more artisitic endeavours. These societies are out there in some measure, eg. I have friends who have moved to Norway where all things Norwegian and Jazz are supported and championed by the public in much greater measure than here. It's arguable that there are other elements of those societies that you would find less favourable to live with.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='258044' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:18 PM']I think it's possible you aspire to something other than simply to complain. I'm guessing that what you would actually like is an educated public that enjoyed encouraged and supported more artisitic endeavours. These societies are out there in some measure, eg. I have friends who have moved to Norway where all things Norwegian and Jazz are supported and championed by the public in much greater measure than here. It's arguable that there are other elements of those societies that you would find less favourable to live with.[/quote]

Not a million miles off, Jake.

What I would like to see is a music fraternity that, like the punks in 1976, recognises that it has begun to eat itself and is no longer representing an arm of the arts but merely the lowest common denominator, be that financial or social. Its the dumbing down of the already dumb. One tribute band woudl be more than enough but FIVE at the same event!

I live less than two miles from this event and won't waste my time attending (I've got two gigs that day anyway). Its free but, even if I wasn't working, my time is more valuable and I would spend it wisely rather than go out to watching/listening to last years nostalgia. For the record, my non-musician wife feels the same way.