Why become a member? ×

Going for a Wah, £100, please advise

Defo

Guest FretNoMore

Tried EBS Wah One (clunky mechanincs, unreliable footswitch) and G Lab Wowee Wah (really nice but mine had an unacceptable volume drop) but ended up with the Cry Baby - easy to use, sounds OK. Considered the Weeping Demon but balked at the bulk, so to speak

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1419585958' post='2640994']
Tried EBS Wah One (clunky mechanincs, unreliable footswitch) and G Lab Wowee Wah (really nice but mine had [size=5][b]an unacceptable volume drop[/b][/size]) but ended up with the Cry Baby - easy to use, sounds OK. Considered the Weeping Demon but balked at the bulk, so to speak
[/quote]

really? :huh:

In mine, the output is as loud as the input. I used to have the Dunlop 105Q which has a level control, and I was looking for others with level control too as I was worried about adjusting the level just right. But the G-Labs was just right. I wonder if there's an internal trim pot that could adjust that, because it makes little sense that it can have a volume drop in one pedal and be ok in the next... hmmm.
The 105Q was ok (I still prefer the sounds and operation of the G-Labs) but it slightly degraded the tone, in bypass mode, and once I noticed it it was really hard to "unnotice", so it had to go.

Guest FretNoMore

Apparently they vary, I've heard from another user whose Wowee Wah had a slight volume drop in the low position and a slight boost in the hi position. I emailed G Lab but they were slow in answering, had already returned the pedal when the reaponse came, and they said nothing about ways of adjusting it. Pity, if it hadn't been for this I would have kept it, it is better than the Cry Baby in most regards.

I tried loads earlier this year (not the G-Lab, though) and settled on an Ibanez Weeping Demon; it's about as versatile as you can imagine, well made and doesn't suck my tone. It also activates in a number of different ways which makes it very handy.

If you would like to hear it go [url="https://soundcloud.com/belowtheghost/slippery-riff"]here[/url] I can't remember the settings I used but I was very happy with the results.

The only downside to the Demon is that it has a big footprint and takes up a bit more room on your board than a Crybaby style or even a Morley style but it's worth it.

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1419596838' post='2641118']
Apparently they vary, I've heard from another user whose Wowee Wah had a slight volume drop in the low position and a slight boost in the hi position. I emailed G Lab but they were slow in answering, had already returned the pedal when the reaponse came, and they said nothing about ways of adjusting it. Pity, if it hadn't been for this I would have kept it, it is better than the Cry Baby in most regards.
[/quote]

aaah I see!
Strange that there could be so much variation from pedal to pedal unless it's due to adjusting a small trim pot after assembly... that would be great, if we could adjust the output level. I don't need to do anything on mine but...