Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD - PRS Kestrel

brensabre79

I'll start by apologising for the crappy iPhone photo, but theres lots of studio shots of these online. I'll add more when I can stop playing it and get the camera out.

So, a while ago I was on the hunt for something that would tick a few boxes for me. I wanted what was essentially a Jazz Bass with a through neck. For some reason theres always been a certain springy-ness to the through-neck basses I've owned and played, but for everything I've tried, its always been the Jazz bass that can get me through any gig situation.

Despite the vast knowledge base that is Basschat, there were very few suggestions though. So imagine my delight to find out about the new Kestrel and Kingfisher basses from PRS. The marketing copy seemed to suggest that this would indeed be the answer to my prayers, and potentially save me a fortune going down the custom route. So without hesitation, I saved up for a few months until the other day when I hit the button on this sunburst Kestrel.

Well it arrived yesterday, and here's my first thoughts. It's lovely.

It came in its own padded gig bag, with the usual case candy in the front pocket. (Why do they always give you a terrible lead? It's absolutely useless except for a keyboard sustain pedal).

Finish quality:
Opening up, the first thing I encountered was a little note from Ali (with a picture of him too) to say that he had set the bass up in the UK before shipping it out to the store. He'd checked the truss-rod, nut, frets, intonation, etc. and was happy. Nice personal touch. As it turns out, Ali had not done a bad job either.

The finish on this bass is absolutely great, almost flawless - the only thing I noticed was that the nut (some kind of brittle plastic) has been cut and roughly shaped, but not smoothed on the corners. A tiny imperfection, one remedied after about 2 minutes with some fine sandpaper. That really is the only thing I can fault though, otherwise it feels... expensive.

The set-up by Ali was a good job, nice low action, just the right amount of curve on the neck and one of the first new basses I've had with the nut actually cut right. Pickups set at a good heightand the bridge spot-on.

Playing:
Before plugging it in I noodled around for 15 minutes, and then another 20 minutes or so before I even thought about plugging it in, its very playable. The neck is not skinny like an Ibanez, it's not what I'd call chunky either, it sort of reminds me of a Les Paul guitar in a way. Substantial, but not slow. I've got small thumbs, so big fat necks are a no,no for me - this is actually thicker than I would normally like, but actually I didn't notice - its really comfortable.

Theres a few more frets than a Jazz Bass at 22 - which is nice to have actually - and getting to them is a doddle thanks to the neck-join and the signature PRS scalloped cutaway on the lower horn.

Electricity:
I eventually set up my little Roland Cube and plugged it in. What a shame, because until this point I was struggling to understand how this bass was so cheap. Honestly, it feels nicer than many basses 2x or 3x the price. The sound is not bad, but its not great either. It sort of sounds, well, ordinary. this may not be a bad thing, and I may be spoilt with the Lakland Chi-sonics on my Decade (amazing sound), but my heart sank a tiny bit from the tone. I can tell its the pickups too, they are ordinary, on an otherwise extraordinary bass.

I know tone is a very subjective thing, and its hard to put into words. My chi-sonics sound fat, big and crunchy on the outside - like a perfectly roasted potato. The custom Wizards on my Jazz Bass, warm with a bit of a cut-through, like roasted baby carrots with a honey glaze. The humbuckers on my Sabre, are thick with a hint of sharpness like a reduced red wine gravy. And here, on the PRS we have boiled parsnips, meh, just a bit middy with no real weight or substance. they remind me of the Duncan Designed pickups in the original Squier VM range, but with a bit less character.

The passive tone controls are equally ordinary - no problem with it, but it's all a bit clinical. The V-V-T configuration has never floated my boat, with both pickups on full, winding one back a tiny amount behaves like a switch. The controls are also very close together for some reason so in a hurry its easy to knock one control while adjusting another.

After a while of fiddling, and adding my Zoom B3 into the equation I was able to get a more killer tone, but this bass looks and feels like it should sound fatter and more commanding without the need for such things.

Conclusion:
SO is it a keeper? Well yes actually it is. But the first thing I'm going to do is change the pickups and the electronics. I do this on pretty much every bass I've owned (except the Lakland and Music Man) so that's probably just me. I wanted a bit more heft and sparkle from this bass, and unplugged it feels like it has all of that in it and the pickups just aren't doing it justice.

Luckily, they are standard Jazz Bass style pickups so I have a huge choice of upgrades. But as I said, the controls are very close together, and the control cavity is tiny - so any electronic modifications will probably mean getting the router out. I'll keep it passive, but put my usual 5 position pickup switch, coil tap or series switch and vintage RIC bridge pickup HPF switch in with a simple volume and tone control. This can be done with the same 3 holes it comes with - although they might be a bit close together.

Overall I'm really happy with the instrument. Made with care, and attention to details. Finished beautifully, set-up properly and a bargain price for what it is. I'm not going to gripe over a bit extra ££ for some better pickups because I'll still have saved a fortune over a custom bass, and I don't think I'd change much.

Bren

Thanks guys, just trying to be useful to anyone considering one.
I just changed the strings to a set of Elixir's and I must say it has made quite a difference to the tone from the pickups, although they still lack a little something for me, lots of treble but no sparkle, and the bottom end is pretty light and airy too.
If you're after a clean, crisp, sound though, these do it pretty well, but I'll be putting something fatter in.
Plays so sweetly though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words. Quick update on this.
I've put in some DiMarzio Model J's and it made a huge difference. Fat and smooth like butter sound with a snarling, growly mid when you dig in.
Played a gig NYE with it and loved every minute. I still haven't changed the setup out of the box either.

Another good thing, the pickups are standard US Jazz Bass sizes (as in bridge slightly larger than neck) so most Jazz Bass compatible sets will go straight in. The Model J's are very deep and they are right down as low as they'll go to be at the right height - so they just fit, but most single coil varieties shouldn't have an issue here.

I did have a screening issue with the standard far-east black paint solution it came with, so I copper lined the cavities and soldered on an earth wire which sorted it.

I would recommend these to anyone looking for a Jazz Bass with a bit more sustain and liveliness, plus an air of quality you don't see in many basses under £1,200. It definitely feels like a PRS though, not a Fender.