Why become a member? ×

Get your STATUS-GRAPHITE basses out!

OutToPlayJazz

geilerbass, I have a Fretless four string with the same facing and they look even better in the flesh. As the bass moves around in light the quilt just shimmers. Mmmmm!

zigmondo, these pics just add to the desirability. I love the pic of it in amongst the Campanula garganica. (I know, I know, I'm a smug pedant :) )

Gentlemen....as a fresh-faced innocent, I ahve to say I've rarely encountered quite as many people who apply the terms for woods and finishes(and even the most innocent of flora) as though they were massaging exotic unguents in a sauna; I mean, why is this the first time I've seen the word "campanula" written with what is a decidedly suggestive leer!
Mama...what are they doing to me...
:)

No Rich. I remember feeling that an appearance by me wouldn't actually help me to ascertain just what "home sound" I'd actually get...also that the bass I'd had before that was also a Status(Series 2000) and I could safely buy unseen. "Generally OK but beware the occasional duffer" was, and has been, always a caveat I've carried with even the highest-end guitars(except Fender Japan in my experience)...but never once with Status bass: a fact or finding I still testify to. To be honest, I thought at the time that if I did go over to Colchester, I'd be winding myself up something chronic and end up with forking out for all manner of flashing lights and landing gear..and being really a grunt guitarist just wanted a bass tool that would never let me down in a gig or need shielding away from lighting circuits, etc; for recording. My whole, er, "rig" has consisted really of the S2 and a Sansamp Bass Driver.
I still want that "Jeff Berlin meets Tal W. for a cup of Sainsbury's Red Label" tone, however...

It's a good job! You really don't want to go to the factory, LOL! It's the ultimate GAS factory. To see 60 stock basses there in the racks is just too much! I go on a little pilgrimage down there 2-3 times a year. Absolutely love it!

I actually found the ultimate jazz sound this year, but I traded against my 08 S2-Classic 5-er like yours. I had found a very good Fender CIJ Marcus Miller bass with the most beautiful quality control you've ever seen, added a Sadowsky outboard pre pedal & slapped on some 40-100 Marcus Miller DR FatBeams. Wow! I'd have kept that if the Status hadn't come up. The exact jazz tone I was looking for as well! I may get another one soon as well. We'll see.

Maybe you could get a Miller bass & keep the Status?

Glad to see someone else using the SansAmp BDDI with a Status. When I tried mine through an amp I had trouble getting a sound I was happy with. Put a set of old flats on it and put it through the SansAmp and voila, the perfect sound for jazz. Almost DBish, just sweet.

Fascinating(apologies readers for going OT). Y'know, I reckon it must be the "limiting"/ compression thang(...?...) I'm able to get into that "organic" territory more now I've lowered the pups and turned down the internal trim pot. Definitely, Bassbus! I've no qualms losing my backline and relying on the BD and the P.A....nor losing my back, for the same reason. Hmm..I'd better not think down the CIJ road; that's how I ended up with 6 or 7 guitars in the first place. You're going to tell me how cheap they are next, aren't you...?...I can sense the glee from here....

Some new pics of the graphite fleet...

My no.1 bass. 2007 Status S2-Classic in walnut & mahogany.

1990 Status Series II in cocobolo & cherry. Now with it's original 2-band preamp reinstalled.

2008 Status KingBass Artist in walnut & mahogany.

2008 Status S2-Classic bolt-on 5-string in cocobolo/mahogany with phenowood maple board.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='350249' date='Dec 9 2008, 11:17 PM']LOL, shall I put in an order for you while I'm there on Monday, flychris?[/quote]

No at the moment... but If I decide myself to sell the JP...
Humm, I have the option to wait for a streamline (5s) or maybe a S2 with J pickups...
But I don't know about what kind of wood and/or color I would like...

I need to think again and again about that...
Also the S2 you show in your post froml ths rob's stock is amazing...

The 5-string with the myrtle wood top is amazing looking, isn't it? That's one of the ones I'm going to play on Monday. I may even come home with it, unless anything else takes my fancy!

A piece of advice, though. The walnut tone block in my S2-Classic gives it that extra creamy sound on top of the usual gritiness. Make sure you get one with the tone block & you'll never look back!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='349857' date='Dec 9 2008, 04:23 PM']My quest for a high end jazz is on hold for now, as I've just sold and shipped my KingBass [b]so I'm off down to Status to buy something stock next week.[/b]
Rich.[/quote]
Oooooooh, can't wait to find out what!