Why become a member? ×

New Business, How Do You Get It?

blue

We discussed Re-Booking and there were a lot of good ideas and suggestions.

But that's existing business, lets throw some ideas around that can be used to generate new business.

Existing business is great, but most of you out there on the front lines and down in the trenches know that any band that is not developing and generating new business is headed for disaster.it's just a matter of when[list]
[*]Is there new business to be land.
[*]Where do you find new business
[*]How do you approach new business, What is your message
[*]Strategy
[/list]

Thoughts, comments and insights.

Blue

Edited by blue

There are only a few gigs that we actively target...and we will have done so for the summer season by now.
If they like the sound of us, they'll contact us...
If we find we are a bit light for gigs in the winter, we get on the phone..but these are likely to be pub tick-over gigs, tbh.
Generally we don't spend a lot of time chasing gigs....except the better ones which every one is tendering for.

New business, it's tough. You really have to put your [i]"selling shoes"[/i] on and figure out where it is and define what your selling.

I think in today's market it has to be more than; [i]"Do you guys hire bands? Here's our card, take a look at our web-site"[/i]

Blue

Yes, but it is a bit desperate to have to hussle...and you can't really do that for parties anyway..
so that is why you play a few select pubs as they are your shop window.
For festivals... we tell them that we have a special show that we can't afford to take out to pubs..
which is some ways goes to explain the big difference in the fees.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418592304' post='2631582']
There are only a few gigs that we actively target...and we will have done so for the summer season by now.
If they like the sound of us, they'll contact us...
If we find we are a bit light for gigs in the winter, we get on the phone..but these are likely to be pub tick-over gigs, tbh.
Generally we don't spend a lot of time chasing gigs....except the better ones which every one is tendering for.
[/quote]

Guess it depends on the band, new vs established stuff like that. We want to gig as much as possible.

Glad you mentioned Fair & Festival season, there a short time frame to get those gigs and there's usually politics involved. You really should be hitting those people up as soon after the 1st of the new year as possible IMO. We lost a good existing county fair account last year. They found bands for the side stages that would play for free. I'm hoping they got just what they paid for. I hate to be harsh, but to me , that's pure [i]"bad business"[/i]

Blue

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1418592620' post='2631590']
Not sure what the pictures are for .
[/quote]

Hmmm, I like pictures and I sort of like people to have an image and vibe for who they're exchanging ideas with. It's a credibility thing I guess.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418592807' post='2631591']
Yes, but it is a bit desperate to have to hussle..[/quote]

The bar band business in Milwaukee is very competitive. It's actually all about the [i]"hustle".[/i]

Timestamp, for bar business here, new and existing business, if you ain't "hustling" you will soon find that your band is out of business.

I think some bands can sit back and just wait for the phone to ring and the business just flows in. That ain't us. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1418593620' post='2631605']
Wow, in the States they have places that bands can drop off their bass players until required. We have those in the UK too but mainly for drummers, usually called "the bar".
[/quote]

That pic was from *SummerFest 2014,Each band gets 2 economy vans to take you to your designated stage, One for the band and one for your guitars. It's actually pretty cool. It's the only gig where I can actually feel like a "rock star" for s few hours. :D

Blue

[b]*Summerfest[/b] (also known as "The Big Gig") is a yearly music festival held at the 75-acre (30-hectare) [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Maier_Festival_Park"]Henry Maier Festival Park[/url] along the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Michigan"]lakefront[/url] in [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee"]Milwaukee[/url], [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin"]Wisconsin[/url], in the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States"]United States[/url]. The festival lasts for 11 days, is made up of 11 headliner stages with performances from over 700 bands, and since the mid-1970s has run from late June through early July, usually including the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_%28United_States%29"]4th of July[/url] holiday.[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summerfest#cite_note-1"][1][/url][/sup] Summerfest attracts between 800,000 and 1,000,000 people each year, promoting itself as "The World's Largest [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Festival"]Music Festival[/url]", a title certified by the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_World_Records"]Guinness World Records[/url] since 1999.

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1418593109' post='2631598']I like pictures and I sort of like people to have an image and vibe for who they're exchanging ideas with. It's a credibility thing I guess.

Blue
[/quote]

It works bud, I like your pictures. Now we know who you are and what you're about. It's a good thing :-)

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1418594581' post='2631621']
It works bud, I like your pictures. Now we know who you are and what you're about. It's a good thing :-)
[/quote]

Thanks Planer,

I'm a working guy, a low level bar band guy, a hustler, an opportunist, a veteran player (since 1966) trying make a little dough and have a little fun.

Blue

Edited by blue

We always tend to have an EPK Link that we send out to promoters and bookers to let them know what we've done and are doing at the moment, and give some background about the band, and what we can bring to the table with regards to ticket sales e.t.c.
With that link goes an email with some blurb introducing ourselves and who / what referred us to that person in question. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but we find showing that you have been recommended, as opposed to cold calling / emailing goes down better!

Edited by Old_Ben

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1418661821' post='2632082']
We always tend to have an EPK Link that we send out to promoters and bookers to let them know what we've done and are doing at the moment, and give some background about the band, and what we can bring to the table with regards to ticket sales e.t.c.
With that link goes an email with some blurb introducing ourselves and who / what referred us to that person in question. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but we find showing that you have been recommended, as opposed to cold calling / emailing goes down better!
[/quote]

Cool, I would think promoters and bookers are better with email, facebook and links than the bar managers and owners over here.

Blue

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1418592620' post='2631590']
Not sure what the pictures are for .
[/quote]
Lol...... You crack me up. That's like a question a five y/o would ask. I thought the same but I didn't have the balls to ask. Go Wayne.....

Ps nice pics Blue... You look awesome.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1418671861' post='2632232']
Ooops, I meant to say thanks to Planer.

blue
[/quote]

It's cool mate, I'd figured it out :-) and if you would rather call me timestamp, that's cool too. I've been called a lot worse!

Edited by planer

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1418678195' post='2632320']
Lol...... You crack me up. That's like a question a five y/o would ask. I thought the same but I didn't have the balls to ask. Go Wayne.....

Ps nice pics Blue... You look awesome.
[/quote]

He he he, you'll never see any close ups. :D

Blue