Why become a member? ×

Music Shops in London?

Shaun

yeahhh.... im looking at something 2nd hand / vintage.

How much success have people had on the haggling front? I mean, im not in a RUSH to buy and ill be sure to tell them that... same thing goes in that I dont particularly want to be ripped off either.

right - train ticket bought so ill be going there on Tuesday...

any last tips from you guys / stories / general chitterchatter regarding buying basses down there... or any other wonderful little shops that are hidden away?

[quote name='Stag' post='257134' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:46 PM']Ill give them a look too.

Seriously though, have people definitely had haggling success.... and exactly how successful were you in your haggling? ( I feel all very Life Of Brian when I keep going on about haggling, lol)[/quote]

I haggle even if I'm not buying just for the entertainment, remeber you can walk away if you don't like the price, I always start with a mock surprised 'Is THAT the best you can do'.
Try it - it's fun & ggod luck with the shopping.

Cheers

[quote name='simondee' post='259847' date='Aug 11 2008, 12:07 PM']spend it in the gallery if you do mate. none of the denmark street shops deserve your cash :)[/quote]

+1000000

If there's any way you can avoid spending your cash in Denmark Street, do. I would have thought that once you've been to the Gallery, you'll want to spend your money there anyway.

everyone seems to dislike the Denmark St people dont they, particularly the Bass Cellar? lol

I will have a quick look in the Gallery but I doubt they will have what im looking for, but it cant hurt to browse. Are they "The Good Guys" of London bass-selling?

Hey Tee!

Thanks for the heads up - you know what im looking for, clearly!!! Hehe...

I saw they had an EB or two in there last time I visited with a mate (very briefly) the day after a Roger Waters gig at the O2 in March. The staff kinda ignored us at the time because we probably still stank like a brewery and had glazed over eyes... lol. I darent even ask to touch anything in there that day! Ill have a look at that LP bass for sure, theres a few of them knocking around.

If I get the time (iver only got about 3 1/2 hrs, pre booked last minute trains and all that) ill go to the Gallery as well... I see its a bit further up in the city than Denmark St so probably another little tube ride.

Well, mission accomplished for me today. I now have a nice 1972 Gibson Les Paul Bass and was treated very nicely in everywhere. Well, except the Bass Cellar who didnt even speak to me or anything while I was in there browsing, but they didnt treat me in any way to be honest! But hey ho, im happy at the end of the day, got what I wanted in a different shop with a bit of haggling.

Edited by Stag

Glad to hear you got what you were after. The reaction you got in the Bass Cellar sounds pretty standard. No interest unless they think you're going to start spending.

The experiences I've had in the other places have, admittedly, not been that negative, it's just that they never have any basses that I'm interested in looking at, let alone buy. But they can be friendly enough. A bit crap that they didn't dust the bass off - perhaps they're going for a truly authentic vintage look. Though they're probably just being lazy.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='261462' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:47 AM']A bit crap that they didn't dust the bass off - perhaps they're going for a truly authentic vintage look. Though they're probably just being lazy.[/quote]

I've always assumed that the layer of dust in V&R is for ambience.

S.P.

You wiped off the dust!? That was authentic 1972 Les Paul bass dust!

You could have collected it in a bag and sold it on ebay as vintage bass dust (dating from '72). Apply to any bass for instant mojo! L@@k!!

[quote name='Tee' post='261483' date='Aug 13 2008, 12:32 PM']You wiped off the dust!? That was authentic 1972 Les Paul bass dust!

You could have collected it in a bag and sold it on ebay as vintage bass dust (dating from '72). Apply to any bass for instant mojo! L@@k!![/quote]

LOL

Ive got the cloth I used for it with said dust still attahced - perhaps ill put it on eBay

:)

[quote name='geilerbass' post='261462' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:47 AM']The reaction you got in the Bass Cellar sounds pretty standard. No interest unless they think you're going to start spending.[/quote]

I like to be treated like that. I like to browse un interrupted and if i do want to try something or get a price ill ask.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='261710' date='Aug 13 2008, 04:48 PM']I like to be treated like that. I like to browse un interrupted and if i do want to try something or get a price ill ask.[/quote]

That's fine, though I assume you want some kind of attentiveness when you actually have a query or want to try something? I've found the response to be begrudging at best, most times I've had a query in the bass cellar.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='261774' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:03 PM']That's fine, though I assume you want some kind of attentiveness when you actually have a query or want to try something? I've found the response to be begrudging at best, most times I've had a query in the bass cellar.[/quote]

Well to be honest i would only ask about price. I'd do my home work before going in there and not expect any impartial advice.
Ive said t before but after the time i went in there and asked for a set of Chromes, only to be told they are guitar strings i wont rely on any shop staff in that shop.
Ive been using Denmark st since the 70's though, although much less these days. Still enjoy walking down there and seeing the inflated prices.

I do still use Rock stop though. Mainly for FX and bits and pices.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='261529' date='Aug 13 2008, 01:24 PM']Nice bass! I played that briefly last time I was in V&R. Might have thought about buying it, had it been the darker (tobacco?) brown. What sort of stuff will you be playing it on?[/quote]

Ill mostly be using it in my newer band doing a rather strange mix of music, it certainly fits the Kings Of Leon and Doors stuff nicely (think the KOL guy uses an EB3 actually?). I've got a one off gig with my old Hendrix / Cream / blues band and the sound will fit that perfectly as well. It really is a lovely bass, took it to rehearsal last night and it played beautifully. A touch of fret buzz at 10th fr D string but nothing a decent set up wont fix.

:)

[quote name='Stag' post='262676' date='Aug 14 2008, 08:07 PM']Ill mostly be using it in my newer band doing a rather strange mix of music, it certainly fits the Kings Of Leon and Doors stuff nicely (think the KOL guy uses an EB3 actually?). I've got a one off gig with my old Hendrix / Cream / blues band and the sound will fit that perfectly as well. It really is a lovely bass, took it to rehearsal last night and it played beautifully. A touch of fret buzz at 10th fr D string but nothing a decent set up wont fix.

:)[/quote]
got back from london yesterday and catching up here , re the bass centre shop is history now a office phoned the new number and spoke to tom who sold me my $$ . he says they are purely internet now ,no shop anywhere.
never got to go in the gallery,went that way but saw shutters down looked run down so did not try .have read there is a security lock to get in ,but will try next time i am in london probably dec. seems i missed a great place . :huh: