Why become a member? ×

technique for muting the open strings when playing fast octaves

Diablo

Put an elasticated ponytail band round the neck at the 2nd fret. This stops all unwanted ringing.

Victor Wooten recommends it. I'm not anywhere near his league but it does work a treat for open A and E strings in basic rock songs.

I buy mine from Claire's Accessories

I have the same trouble on 2 4 6 8 Motorway, I use the edge of my picking hand to choke off the note, never played this song but it sounds like you could mute the bottom E by just touching the E string when you fret the A string, I could have the wrong end of the stick though, like I said I've never played it

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1417533378' post='2621438']
Put an elasticated ponytail band round the neck at the 2nd fret. This stops all unwanted ringing.

Victor Wooten recommends it. I'm not anywhere near his league but it does work a treat for open A and E strings in basic rock songs.

I buy mine from Claire's Accessories
[/quote]

That's a good shout

I've just tried a playalong with the video posted earlier - My usual three-finger technique** gets tired quickly, so I found index on the E string, middle on the A string 7th fret and mute E with the thumb works pretty well. Vix-style scrunchies, hipshot or a 5-string not needed.

** index and middle finger alternating on the same string, ring finger mutes string above, thumb mutes string below. When ascending strings, ring fingers makes first pluck; when descending, rake with whichever finger just plucked

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1417537454' post='2621495']
I have the same trouble on 2 4 6 8 Motorway, I use the edge of my picking hand to choke off the note, never played this song but it sounds like you could mute the bottom E by just touching the E string when you fret the A string, I could have the wrong end of the stick though, like I said I've never played it
[/quote]

There's a simple solution for that one. Stop playing such guff! :yarr:

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1417605115' post='2622101']
lol, one man's guff is another man's classic, a fine singalong for a pissed up Saturday night crowd
[/quote]

That's true. And if it brings in money & you have fun playing it, then it's a win win. :)