Why become a member? ×

CTM-100! NAD

0175westwood29

I'm lucky enough to have an old ABM combo so I can switch between flavours as I please, but my secret guilty pleasure is my mark 1 MAG head which sounds insanely good.

I haven't tried a BTA yet through fear of buying one, but I can only seem to find the 400w model and that's waaaay overkill for what I need. I love being able to get the back end growl from the CTM without destroying the venue!!

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1424380418' post='2695799']
I haven't tried a BTA yet through fear of buying one, but I can only seem to find the 400w model and that's waaaay overkill for what I need. I love being able to get the back end growl from the CTM without destroying the venue!!
[/quote]

They didn't make very any BTA200s or 300s - Mark Gooday told me only 20 200s were made and I'd wager even fewer 300s. Only the 400 survived, custom shop only now mind you, but I suspect the fact that there was no discernible difference in weight - and certainly not size! - they decided to just keep the most powerful one :)

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1424370272' post='2695651']
How're you getting on with the CTM? I really love mine. Merton is a traitor and has bought a BTA 200 but I bet it's amazing ;)
[/quote]

Love it beasty amp! not as crazy heavy as other valve heads being only 100w, if i needed clean id want to grab a 300 but as i dnt need clean then this is perfect!

especially as i play thru an 810.

andy

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1424623884' post='2698406']
Glad you're getting on well!

I'd love to have an 810 but just don't have the room (or the means to move it)! I think even a 4x10 would be a struggle for me. Maybe new car should be top of my new gear list...
[/quote]

the sound of the 810 for me is worth the hassle of moving it, but with the rear handles and big chucky good quality castors its not to bad.

andy

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1424623884' post='2698406']
Glad you're getting on well!

I'd love to have an 810 but just don't have the room (or the means to move it)! I think even a 4x10 would be a struggle for me. Maybe new car should be top of my new gear list...
[/quote]

Considered the ABM610? Im loving mine with a GK 700RB-II.

Seriously considering a CTM-100. How do you guys that play them think they hold up on stage volume wise? How far do they go into distortion if we were talking about the sort of volume typically put out when using FOH? I like some break up and always play with full PA support, usually with an Ashdown 610

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1424727998' post='2699840']
Seriously considering a CTM-100. How do you guys that play them think they hold up on stage volume wise? How far do they go into distortion if we were talking about the sort of volume typically put out when using FOH? I like some break up and always play with full PA support, usually with an Ashdown 610
[/quote]

from playing thru my 810 with gain and master at about 12 id say it was a nice warm light overdrive, but i have hot guitars and use the low input, they get nice and dirty tho at not crazy volume, unless you max both gain and volume, then its a bit much.

i think ive posted this but this is were i show how dirty it gets thru my 810

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUMx-foXvLI

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1424727998' post='2699840']
[/quote]

I run CTM 100 through two ABM NEO 210s. I use the low/quieter input as the breaks up a bit too soon (like REALLY soon) with the high one. I have the gain at about 10-11, master between 12-2. Its quite a loud band - 2 guitars, heavy drums, and those settings bring it up to being proud in the mix - ie normal backline vol B) - and that puts it just on the edge of snarl, but not noticeably distorted. Fantastic sound really.

I found I had to encourage the guitarists to tweak their normal eq, as it sits differently to my other amp - so when I first plugged in, it all sounded a bit mushy. The CTM eq doesn't do big eq variations. But once they'd conceded to cut a little bit of bass or mids or something from the guitars, any slush went away and cuts through like a demon.

I think I read someone saying its on a par with an ABM 500 - but I'm not sure it is really. With gain and vol in similar place on my ABM, I know I've got loads of extra clean headroom (not that I've ever needed it). The CTM wouldn't much above drum volume without getting fuzzy IMO. But its completely happy at regular backline level, accepting a little bit of bite. I've used it at gigs a few times now, some with pa & some smaller ones with backline only & its got as much oomph as I've needed so far. Happy days.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1424767119' post='2700072']
I run CTM 100 through two ABM NEO 210s. I use the low/quieter input as the breaks up a bit too soon (like REALLY soon) with the high one. I have the gain at about 10-11, master between 12-2. Its quite a loud band - 2 guitars, heavy drums, and those settings bring it up to being proud in the mix - ie normal backline vol B) - and that puts it just on the edge of snarl, but not noticeably distorted. Fantastic sound really.

I found I had to encourage the guitarists to tweak their normal eq, as it sits differently to my other amp - so when I first plugged in, it all sounded a bit mushy. The CTM eq doesn't do big eq variations. But once they'd conceded to cut a little bit of bass or mids or something from the guitars, any slush went away and cuts through like a demon.

I think I read someone saying its on a par with an ABM 500 - but I'm not sure it is really. With gain and vol in similar place on my ABM, I know I've got loads of extra clean headroom (not that I've ever needed it). The CTM wouldn't much above drum volume without getting fuzzy IMO. But its completely happy at regular backline level, accepting a little bit of bite. I've used it at gigs a few times now, some with pa & some smaller ones with backline only & its got as much oomph as I've needed so far. Happy days.
[/quote]

Thanks for that BluRay

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1424730770' post='2699905']
from playing thru my 810 with gain and master at about 12 id say it was a nice warm light overdrive, but i have hot guitars and use the low input, they get nice and dirty tho at not crazy volume, unless you max both gain and volume, then its a bit much.

i think ive posted this but this is were i show how dirty it gets thru my 810

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUMx-foXvLI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=eUMx-foXvLI[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers mate

I can get reasonably loud on stage with mine before it starts to get too gnarly. We use a PA consisting of peavey subs and up to four Bose 802s, and I never have any problem being heard or cutting through. I can imagine it would struggle a bit if I do any outdoor gigs, but again the PA shouldn't be a problem getting things heard.

I only use the 2x10 at the moment, but a 6x10 definitely sounds tempting. I have thought about getting a 1x15 and going in the opposite direction.

Definitely find somewhere to try one. As already said, they don't do massive EQ changes - it sounds like an Ashdown (and an awesome one at that)! The deep and Mellow switches do help to craft the sound, so you can get it bright and cutting, but I tend to go for a darker, thumpier sound.

Definitely worth a go if you like Ashdown and are after valve tone.