Why become a member? ×

4 string setup : B-E-A-D

jansenh

Hi Basschat.

I play a 5-string Warwick in a Metal band, but I never use the G-string, just the 4 lowest B-E-A-D. So, I figured (since I really enjoy the Precision 62 re-issue I use for blues), what if I set up a 4 string with 130, 110, 85, 70 or something, and tuned it B-E-A-D? Will it work, and will it be any good?

regards, Henning

you would probably need a new nut, as the strings would be too thick for the notches, or you could just carfully file them to make the notches larger. other than that it would work fine.

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='255734' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:22 PM']you would probably need a new nut, as the strings would be too thick for the notches, or you could just carfully file them to make the notches larger. other than that it would work fine.[/quote]

+1, the strings didn't fit when i tried the same thing...i filed the nut, as a temp fix, and it works as well as i hoped. Would prolly sound better with a new nut but i'm not fussed at the mo!

I did it with the stingray I had, I just filed the slots in the nut wider. I can't see how it will make it sound different if you don't get a new nut, or though you would probably need a new nut if you went back to lighter strings.

As far as I'm concerned it works fine. Rotosound do a set of 65-130 stainless steal (don't know what strings you use though)

Edited by markytbass

I suppose the sensible route would be to get another nut then use the original for a template then if it went wrong you would still have the original. The main question is, was captain sensible really sensible? And what is BMK doing up at this time of night? Or me for that matter? Too mant unanswered questions!

I played a BEAD fretless Warwick for several years, and the only problems I had were with my bass teacher - speaking about 5-string notes while looking at a 4-string gave him problems.

I upgraded to a fretless 5 so that both my fretted and fretless basses had the same fingering for the same notes. For strings, I bought sets of 5-strings, which was more expensive, but gave you access to a much bigger range of strings.

I've used the BEAD tuning before on a 2nd bass, (i.e. it was not my main bass).
Used to use it for a few songs that could make use of the deeper B string.

Except for the nut issue mentioned above I think that it should sound great.
I've never owned a 5 string bass so BEAD felt natural to me.

It works, it sounds good and its great way to bridge the gap between 4 and 5 strings.

I also read somewhere that getting a left handed neck can help tighten up the B string so its more like a 35" scale but still playes like a 34", but this is a more drastic change that adjusting the nut.

[quote name='jansenh' post='255733' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:21 PM']Hi Basschat.

I play a 5-string Warwick in a Metal band, but I never use the G-string, just the 4 lowest B-E-A-D. So, I figured (since I really enjoy the Precision 62 re-issue I use for blues), what if I set up a 4 string with 130, 110, 85, 70 or something, and tuned it B-E-A-D? Will it work, and will it be any good?

regards, Henning[/quote]
Warwick actually make a corvette that comes with that setup as standard so yeah, you may need a new nut, or you might be able to file it a bit, but yeah it's perfectly possible.