Why become a member? ×

Security

steve-soar

From Musicguard's policy documents... seems reasonable to me:

Instruments and equipment must be stored in a locked luggage compartment of a vehicle and will only be covered when:

All doors and windows are left closed and locked
Theft occurred by forcible and violent entry
All security devices installed in the vehicle are in operation
The vehicle used is completely road legal
All windows and locks are capable of totally securing the vehicle.
Where possible when at the insured location property should be removed from your vehicle and stored within the insured location

[b]For hatchback, four-wheel drive, MPV, SUV and estate cars[/b]

In addition to the requirements above:

If equipment is stored in the rear of the vehicle, a factory-fitted cover must be in place and if not available, the instruments/equipment must be out of sight
A minimum of a Thatcham approved Category 3 steering lock immobiliser must be fitted to the vehicle.

[b]For vans or minibus:[/b]

In addition to the requirements above:

The windows must be obscured
The equipment must be in a compartment not accessible from the driver's area, or where the compartment is accessible, the property must be kept out of sight.

You get 2k worth of cover + public liability now through the union, this can work out well depending on how much you make a year from music.

Home insurance is a dodgy one if you make part or all of your living through music, also check the single article limit. Not all insurance is equal even policies underwritten by the same company.

When I had my studio stuff stolen I had a back up HDD of all my work.....next to the Mac, so they stole that to!

[quote name='ped' post='255556' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:45 PM']What about something very unusual and basically impossible to compare to anything else value wise? I would have no idea how much to ask for my fretted bass for example[/quote]

If it's anything like rare cars, you agree a value when you take out the insurance. You must have *some* idea what it's worth!

Mine is insured through Liverpool Victoria but I have to pay extra for the amount of gear I own. My stuff is insured for replacement at todays prices.
I have all receipts for modifications and additions to basses, as well as cables, cases and I try not to leave anything on show when in the car.
I still think it is relatively expensive but essential.

[quote name='Monz' post='255290' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:26 PM']I was looking at this only yesterday... After a bit of digging around I found a company called musicgaurd which seemed to offer the cover I wanted but having no experience of them I am continuing to look around[/quote]

I've been with musicguard for a few years now. also all my camera gear is insured with Photoguard, both part of the same company (pavilion i believe).
Ive never had to make a claim but they do seem to offer what i need over just using extended cover on my household policy.

[quote name='Merton' post='255519' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:12 PM']Ped, with brand new things like my Retroactive I valued it at exactly what I paid.

With 2nd hand things I either value at what I paid or what the current market value is if I got a bargain!

EDIT: that often means I've valued things at a higher price than I paid. Does that constitue insurance fraud?[/quote]
Use the MU cover and the people at Hencilla Canworth and operate on a similar basis to Merton. As I recall at the last renewal that came to about £120 for about £4k of cover, including unattended in the car

For the MB combo I believe I quoted list price rather than what I paid against not being able to get a similar deal.

The L2500 is on for what I paid for it as s/h.

For the Wal I adopt an "antiques roadshow" insurance valuation - ie potential sale price plus a bit - on the basis that the chances of me replacing it are slim to 6ugger all

I think that this sums up why you should keep a record of your kit's serial numbers!! Iggy Pop and the Stooges had a sh*t load of gear stolen just a couple of days ago whilst touring Canada check this out [url="http://www.hootpage.com/stoogesstolenstuff/stoogesstolenstuff.html"]Iggy Pop Stolen Gear[/url]

[quote name='Wooks' post='255953' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:44 AM']I think that this sums up why you should keep a record of your kit's serial numbers!! Iggy Pop and the Stooges had a sh*t load of gear stolen just a couple of days ago whilst touring Canada check this out [url="http://www.hootpage.com/stoogesstolenstuff/stoogesstolenstuff.html"]Iggy Pop Stolen Gear[/url][/quote]Check the opening post. :)

I think this has been mentioned before on another insurance related post - but you should really check out (of all things) [url="http://www6.marksandspencer.com/pages/default.asp?PageId=pc&Product=HI"]Marks & Spencers Premier[/url] home contents insurance. It gives me [u]unlimited[/u] cover - for everything both inside my house AND they're also covered for worldwide travel. Highly recommended.

[quote name='99ster' post='255991' date='Aug 6 2008, 08:41 AM']I think this has been mentioned before on another insurance related post - but you should really check out (of all things) [url="http://www6.marksandspencer.com/pages/default.asp?PageId=pc&Product=HI"]Marks & Spencers Premier[/url] home contents insurance. It gives me [u]unlimited[/u] cover - for everything both inside my house AND they're also covered for worldwide travel. Highly recommended.[/quote]

From Marks & Spencer's Policy document:

[quote]What is NOT covered:

3. Business items – Items used
for business or professional
purposes, other than office
equipment.[/quote]

You'll find a similar clause in most - if not all - home insurance policies.

[quote name='99ster' post='255991' date='Aug 6 2008, 08:41 AM']I think this has been mentioned before on another insurance related post - but you should really check out (of all things) [url="http://www6.marksandspencer.com/pages/default.asp?PageId=pc&Product=HI"]Marks & Spencers Premier[/url] home contents insurance. It gives me [u]unlimited[/u] cover - for everything both inside my house AND they're also covered for worldwide travel. Highly recommended.[/quote]

But does it cover you if you are earning?
One thing i enquired about when i was going to put my gear on my household insurance as extended cover was do they pay out if you get gear stolen while at a gig.
They said no, if you are using it to earn money then thats a different type of insurance and it wouldn't be covered.
Thats why i went with Musicguard.

It might be worth checking.

Speaking of stolen gear, Iggy and the Stooges had ALL of their live gear stolen. Sometimes even insurance can't cover some of the gear they must have, which is more sentimental than monetary. More [url="http://www.boingboing.net/2008/08/05/iggy-and-the-stooges-1.html"]here[/url].

I use the MU cover. With the membership being only £12 per month, it's worth the £2000 gear cover you get. There's also several millions' worth of public liability thrown in. Luckily I've never had anything taken over the years, but I am very careful. (No planning any heists, okay?!)

Someone once tried to steal my 5-string double bass from my VW Jetta many years ago, but they failed as it was 'fed' diagonally through the car & they couldn't figure out how to get it out of the car! Morons :)