Why become a member? ×

Converting 1/4 inch to Speakon on a cab

krispn

Guest monsterthompson

assuming the wires are long enough that you have enough to work with, it should be easy as long as there is a way to mount the jacks easily.

You haven't said what make/type the cab is.

The difficult part will be mechanical. The rewiring should be very simple.

If the jacks are the flange type held in place by two fixing nuts and bolts in the diagonal corners the replacing these with similar Speakon sockets should be straightforward.

If the jacks are the single hole fixing type then it's a different proposition as you'll have to drill out the mounting plate for the Speakon connector body and its fixing screws.

Alternatively it might be possible to completely replace the mounting plate, connectors and all.

Howdy lads

It's a 65 Amp Apollo bass cab I'll get a pic up later and show the connection as it is - it's mounted on a circular plate if I recall - Im in work but will update after 9pm.

Again if I recall it should unscrew with little fuss.

Thankd for the input

I'd recommend the obtaining of another recessed plate which fits the Speakon. Take off the present plate and enlarge the hole (a round saw ([i]scie cloche[/i]...) in a power drill..? I've forgotten what they're called in English...), and fit the new plate. There doesn't seem to be much room there 'as is', and it would be a shame to lose the recessed advantage.
Just my tuppence-worth.

Edit : I looked it up; it's a 'hole saw', apparently.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1416004382' post='2606175']
Looks like a trip to the tech then
[/quote]

Probably a wise decision as from your photo I would say that a Speakon socket is larger and will not fit the current recessed mounting plate.