Why become a member? ×

Some Pratt on Jools Later just now thinking he's the dog's bollocks!

merello

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1415824161' post='2604243']
His bass is unplayable by all of us on here because we can't get our grubby mitts on it!
[/quote]

According to this, even [u]he[/u] couldn't get his grubby mitts on it for quite a while . . . .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3Jc54k1Es[/media]

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1415824937' post='2604262']

I think StingrayPete (and Dave_bass5) nailed it. The vast majority of people just play them off the shelf.

I wonder if pianists have the same conversations?

"The hammers are just too 'bouncy' on the Steinway for my liking."

[/quote]
I bought a Stingray new in 2002, I didnt touch the truss rod for about 4 years, I suppose I just thought that was how it is until it got bad enough that I decided to look at it, probably 4mm off the 12th fret maybe where I now set them to about 2mm with only a hint of neck relief, my jazz is a touch lower.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415824487' post='2604251']
I've always wanted and needed a low action... and always been picky on strings for feel and touch.
Maybe I'm just picky.

Of course, it doesn't matter how anyone sets up a bass, ... but most people find mine easier to play that their own..
Makes me wonder why they don't set theirs up like that.
[/quote]
Im not a fan of Rotosounds but I'd rather play a bass fitted with them than a super low action, initially when trying someones bass that is low I think it great, after a few days or a gig I'd be raising up I assure you.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415829096' post='2604334']
Im not a fan of Rotosounds but I'd rather play a bass fitted with them than a super low action, [b]initially when trying someones bass that is low I think it great, after a few days or a gig I'd be raising up I assure you.[/b]
[/quote]

Why..?

My open opinion on this is that low action bassss seem fast and easy to play, but depending how I dig in I have to raise mine higher than I would sometimes like.
Certainly at home I play with a lighter touch, but at gigs I play harder.

I love low action and a few years ago I tried a JO5 that had a very low action. It brought a smile to my face as my fingers were racing all over the neck. After a few mins though I realsied I was choking notes and getting fret buzz quite a bit. It was just too low for my style of playing.

That's just my thoughts though.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1415833474' post='2604414']

Why..?
[/quote]
Just like Dave says above, at first I think wow this plays like the proverbial butter then as time goes by and I'm trying to thrash out town called malice with a pick it's too low. I also find it sucks the tone out of the bass if it's too low. Don't get me wrong mine are not that high and I'm sure you would be able to play them but from what you say you would like them lower and I'd like them higher. For a jam session there would be a point where I'd get on better with a high action clunky old p bass than an overly low ticklers jazz copy :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I practice for the gig..which basically means I like to amuse myself. In a song I'll come up with something I want to
do and I'll indulge myself... it's only a pub gig, I think I can step it up if I have to, but for £50, I want to have fun.
I like to think I have the taste thing in check as I see some people go way over the top, but if the drummer is going thru
the gears..and he really out to be, IMO.. I'll want to go there too :lol:
My aim is to have my practice regime and gig thing as close together as possible. If I can do everything I have worked on
at a gig..I'll be happy.
As for jams.... why should it be all about the gtr...?

• 2 weeks later...

Avonmore is a great BF album IMHO. I don't buy all of his, or Roxy Music's, albums, but I'm really enjoying Avonmore. Guy is definitely playing simple when it suits the song, but being more adventurous when it suits the song. E.g. the latter part of "Driving Me Wild".

Edit: Bryan is playing Leicester in May! Edit: Only poor seats still available it seems and they are £65.

Edited by Annoying Twit