Why become a member? ×

Query for the Epifani users....

iamthewalrus

Hiya,
This ones for the Epifani users on here - wonder if anyone can help or if I'm just thick? (Mods - feel free to move if in the wrong part of the forum).,

I've got two Epifani UL110's which are being powered by a Yamaha BBT500H. This setup replaced my two Peavey cabs (a 1 x 15 & a 2 x 10) & a Trace AH500 head. I've been using this setup for about a year now & I seem to be missing a bit of oomph in the bass end (got the top & midrange fine) - both cabs have got an HF horn. Is it a case of turning down (or even turning off) one of the HF horns & boosting the other?

I know I shouldn't really expect thundering lows out of this setup (couldn't go back to lugging full size cabs again) but is this the way foirward or am I missing something?

Looking forward to any help or pointers.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='253842' date='Aug 3 2008, 06:43 PM']Hiya,
This ones for the Epifani users on here - wonder if anyone can help or if I'm just thick? (Mods - feel free to move if in the wrong part of the forum).,

I've got two Epifani UL110's which are being powered by a Yamaha BBT500H. This setup replaced my two Peavey cabs (a 1 x 15 & a 2 x 10) & a Trace AH500 head. I've been using this setup for about a year now & I seem to be missing a bit of oomph in the bass end (got the top & midrange fine) - both cabs have got an HF horn. Is it a case of turning down (or even turning off) one of the HF horns & boosting the other?

I know I shouldn't really expect thundering lows out of this setup (couldn't go back to lugging full size cabs again) but is this the way foirward or am I missing something?

Looking forward to any help or pointers.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.[/quote]

Personally i would say its nothing to do with Epifani but they type of cabs you are using.
You have basically gone from a 2x10 plus 1x15 to a 2x10. So i would imaging its just like taking away the 1x15.

Im sure you can get some nice lows but i have a feeling your not going to be happy with just the 2x10 cabs.
I would say its nothing to do with the horns but it wont hurt to turn one or both down, the 10's will have a lot of high mids so you should still cut through.
You dont need to go back to a full sized cab but i would think something liek a Schroerder 1210 or 1212 would be a better match to your old set up and much lighter.

Not familiar with the head so i cant really comment on it.

Edited by dave_bass5

The reason the tweeters are adjustable is so they can be adjusted!

The reason amps have tone controls is so they can be adjusted! Within the bounds of the first rule of Alex: [b]You can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur[/b]

The Americans have a saying about car engines that "[b]there ain't no substitute for cubic inches[/b][i][/i]" I am firmly of the belief that this also applies to bass cabs.

I once had a UL110 and changed to a Ul112 because it was too middy/toppy. Now I run a UL112 and a T112NYC. The tweeter is off on the NYC and at 25% on the UL but it still lacks those deep lows. I did a side-by-side a T212NYC which was thunderously deep and mellow. The UL310 was also much deeper. I have resigned myself to the fact that I needed a decent sized cab to get the sound I wanted so I now have a Berg NV610. Nice.

Doesn't the Yamaha have a really cunning parametric EQ? If so, use that to cut the lows very hard below the tuning frequency (somewhere between 40 and 60Hz, experiment) and then add boost at and just above the tuning frequency. That'll get you maximum bottom with minimum chance of farting out. (To exactly find the tuning frequency, download WinISD and use the signal generator on it to drive your bass amp - lay the cab on its back, sprinkle salt on the cone and when it bounces the least (in the sub 80Hz region) then you've found it).

At the end of the day though you're using very small cabs with restricted low frequency response and drivers with limited excursion - at least they'll make nasty noises before you damage them but don't expect much real fatness.

Going to bigger cabs won't help unless the total cab volume and/or cone displacement (area x excursion) is increased.

Alex

Hiya,
Thanks to everyone who's replied - there's a lot of food for thought there to say the least, so I'll do some adjusting with the amp settings on the Yamaha. I'll also see what the effect of turning the horns down does.

As much as I'd love to go back to using a 15, it's a case of me having to get on with what I've got....

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='obbm' post='253901' date='Aug 3 2008, 08:21 PM']The Americans have a saying about car engines that "[b]there ain't no substitute for cubic inches[/b][i][/i]"[/quote]
That was the great Caroll Shelby who threw away the 2 litre engine in an AC Ace, chucked in a 5 litre V8 instead and called it a Cobra.