Why become a member? ×

Ampeg cab

MoonBassAlpha

Hi All
last night I used the bass rig from our drummers other band as we were on the same bill.
I'm not sure what the cab configuration was, possibly 1x15 as It seemed a bit too small for a 4x10.
It sounded plenty loud in the bass (almost too much) but however I set the amp,there was just no top end at all.
The amp was an Ashdown LG1000 with the treble right up, and I also tweaked the treble right up on my MXR Bass DI+. Just made NO Difference. It sounded like the cab was lowpassed at about 2khz max.
Any suggestions? Do some Ampeg cabs have mid crossover that could have failed, or something.
The guy said he was looking to get a new rig because of this issue.
Cheers

If it was a 115 then the spec is 3kHz at the -3dB point. I have the B115E which has nearly the same spec as the SVT cab. I prefer no tweeter & like that warm low end but it probably wouldn't suit the majority of modern bassists who lean towards a more hi-fi-ish cab/tone.

I'd say 15's and no tweeters are asking for trouble but I doubt that is a universal view..
However, you are where you are... I'd put another cab with that amp and see if you got more
top end...EQ on the amp notwithstanding. A lot of older 15's can be pretty wooly anyway.