Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How heavy is too heavy?

JimBobTTD

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='251865' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:44 AM']I aim for 9lb being about as heavy as I'd like, though I own a bass that is closer to 10lb. I'd consider anything over 10lb to be heavy

I've owned a bass that weighed over 12lb and though the tone was fantastic I'd not want to repeat the experience and 'yes' I will sacrifice a little bit of tone to save lugging an extra 3lb around on my shoulder at every gig.[/quote]

I have chronic back & neck problems and anything over 9lbs is uncomfortable. Although I [i]can[/i] play my Alembic (around 10.5-11 lbs) standing up, it really isn't worth it for the days of pain afterwards. My 4001CS is borderline. To be honest, the lighter the better; my Sei 4 is the only bass I own that I would actually describe as comfortable in terms of weight over a couple of hours, and that's probably no more than 8lbs, probably less. Balance is also extremely important, but there is a point I can't go beyond no matter what the balance is like (for instance my Alembic balances great, but that's no help. I also played the Sei Millenium 6 that was in the Gallery until a short time ago and although it balanced great - and was absolutely incredible - it actually put my back out for several weeks after; I was in agony once I got home!).

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Marcus' post='252536' date='Aug 1 2008, 10:10 AM']My Spalted Maple Alembic Series II weighed in at 15lbs !

It was like playing with an iron gurder strapped to you.... that is the only reason why I don't own the instrument now !!

By the end of the first set i'd usually be in pain !!!

10lb is my "ceiling" for a gigging bass[/quote]

MB1. :)
WIMP!..... :huh:

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='253386' date='Aug 2 2008, 04:46 PM']I think they fill American basses with concrete before shipping them out. That's why they all weigh a ton![/quote]

MB1. :)
Trees,Trees...You call that a Tree?....This is a F*****G TREE! :huh:
She was a Big Blonde Babe! that Alembic S2. :huh: