Why become a member? ×

Bassists are generally such a friendly species!

gazgoldstar

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1411724157' post='2562232']
I'm a geek, I'm firmly in the mould of "always got a cable/battery/tool kit on him" bass player. I love geeking out about basses, bashes being the epitome of that. But I've met bass players at gigs who simply aren't that into it as would spend any time talking about gear or techniques, they just play and then wander off. You must have experienced it -

Me: "Great gig, really enjoyed your playing."
Bass player: "Thanks very much."
Me: "Nice bass you've got there."
Bass player: "Yeah, it is."
[i]awkward silence where you expected someone to wax lyrical about the type of wood it's made of and got nothing[/i]
Me: "OK, well, cheers!"

Hell, I've had indifferent exchanges at bashes before. So I'd love to believe that we're all a happy, polite gang of bass geeks, but it doesn't always pan out that way. Of course I've met some gems of bass players who are geeky, gregarious, gear mad and happy to talk the hind legs off a donkey about bass. They're ace.

It must be me, I am the only common factor in all these encounters of variable friendliness and engagement. Perhaps I'm coming in too hot for the reserved type, maybe I give off an aura of loserness that some people pick up on and have no wish to engage me in conversation beyond the perfunctory. I am not the most confident of people, and meeting new folk doesn't come easy to me, so I may be overly reserved or I may overcompensate. If you ever encounter me, and if you're feeling generous, please bear this in mind. I do warm up, honest :)

Maybe one day I'll accept that it's OK for me to take up the square metre or so of space that I occupy, and that it's also OK if I don't click with every person I meet.

Oops, that was deep.
[/quote]

You could always try asking Moon Moon how to get on with people.

only joking

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1411742894' post='2562468']
So what happened to the myth that you can tell the bassist in the band - "he's the moody one..."?
[/quote]

I wouldn't say I'm moody... Mrs C says things like 'morally disengaged' and 'unempathhic' when she's telling me what's wrong with my personality...

Edited by CamdenRob

I don't think certain members of my last band would say I was friendly. The drummer suggested we all bury the hatchet after a particularly unpleasant argument...I said the only hatchet I'd bury was into the other two's gear :D

I'm friendly to people I respect or those I need to be friendly to.

Most bass players I've met are friendly sorts

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1411742894' post='2562468']
So what happened to the myth that you can tell the bassist in the band - "he's the moody one..."?
[/quote]
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1411743580' post='2562478']
I wouldn't say I'm moody... Mrs C says things like 'morally disengaged' and 'unempathhic' when she's telling me what's wrong with my personality...
[/quote]

The word you're looking for is "Sociopathic". I know because that's what my wife says I am....