Why become a member? ×

better to under or overpower cabs?

ash2008

[quote name='Stag' post='336780' date='Nov 25 2008, 11:39 PM']If only the Ampeg had been 8ohm I would be pushing one hell of a lot of air at my next gig - very very loud indeed, deaf audience, 5 x10's and a 15 ! lol !

Although from what you have been saying and what ive been reading, I should a hefty sound at 4ohms from the 4x10 on its own anyway, no power going anywhere else but into one cab... look forward to it.[/quote]

Hell yeah, I must be only be running around 150-180W through my 4x10 since it's 8ohm and that shifts some.

Just don't use up all the juice with the bass control, utilise the low mids more. I find there's a lot more headroom available doing this :)

[quote name='Stag' post='336759' date='Nov 25 2008, 11:25 PM']just would have liked to have the whole caboodle all together to look proper raaawwwk! Hehe.[/quote]

Nothing to stop you still taking both cabs, just DON'T plug the second one in. ;-) Some pro's do this.

In fact, you can go even further and take the drivers out of the unused cab to make it lighter

Edited by dave_bass5

There is a whole load of info on the basschat wiki. The reason some makers have 4 ohm cabs is usually that they also have 2 ohm amps. Most makers of 4 ohm amps do 8 ohm cabs. The general idea the makers have is you buy their amps and cabs, not you buy their amp and use somebody elses cabs or vice versa.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='337161' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:36 PM']Nothing to stop you still taking both cabs, just plug the second one in. ;-) Some pro's do this.

In fact, you can go even further and take the drivers out of the unused cab to make it lighter[/quote]

I think this is meant to say "just [u]don't[/u] plug the second one in" :)

[quote name='Protium' post='337347' date='Nov 26 2008, 03:11 PM']I think this is meant to say "just [u]don't[/u] plug the second one in" :)[/quote]

DOH as the Americans and people living in the past would say.

Although if the cab is empty then it wont matter :huh:

fixing it now.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Stag' post='336759' date='Nov 25 2008, 06:25 PM']Seems odd to make them like that if you could make them all at 8ohm and everyone would be as happy as[/quote]+1, but then you'd have incessant whining from those who don't know any better that they must have a 4 ohm cab 'so I can get all the watts out of my amp'. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Stag, I had a similar issue where I picked up two very nice 4-Ohm cabs (both 210) at an excellent price before realising I couldn't effectively use both at the same time with my 4-Ohm amp.

Then OBBM sorted it out for me.

I also had an 8-Ohm cab (a 115). So he made a box for me that allowed me to run the two 210's in [b]series[/b], taking them up to 8 Ohms for the pair, plus run the 115 in [b]parallel[/b], taking the whole thing back down to 4 Ohms.

Instant bass stack!

Top man, OBBM.

so, three cabs in that set up? Bloody hell... thats impressive. Was chatting with Dood earlier (he's quite the electrician) about the whole subject and answered a few more of my queries so ill bother you guys a little less!

Dont you have to have some form of special cabling to run in series though?