Why become a member? ×

Nittin Sawhney

fumps

I'm not sure if there is any love for Nittin Sawhney on BC but the amazing Miss F took me to see him at the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday night, we were sat on the second row centre, I've never been the RAH before and had my jaw on the floor just sat there in shock lol

Anyway the gig itself was just awe inspiring from start to finish.
The spport was a young delicate lady called Eva Stone who started by telling us that her last gig was a half full pub & captured the audience with a voice that filled the Hall with her amazing fragile voice that stunned the audience.

The musicianship of Nittin Sawhney's band was humbling to the point of making me feel like I should quit playing lol. The guest's included John Martyn's bass player (Danny Thompson) who came on with no pomp at all and proceeded to play the best acoustic slide guitar I've ever seen then later Bjork's right hand man came on and played an instrument I've never seen before & took me to another world.
I just spent the whole gig trasfixed and I'm still on a high.
I will never forget what I saw there, A totally awe inspiring gig........Wow just......Wow!!!

I'll be honest I'm a fish out of water in London, I just spend my whole time there in a fightened silence and completely lost, but Sunday was spent idelly strolling around Kensington with a big smile on my face & met some lovely people who seemed happy to chat to a lost northern weirdo lol, which is a first for me.

The whole time I spent down in London was spell binding & the Royal Albert Hall was nothing short of execptional......My whole outlook of London has been turned on its head.....I will not be a stranger again.

Edited by fumps

I've never seen [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nittin Sawhney but have some of his CDs and I have a huge regard for him, his musical integrity and inventiveness. I wish I'd known about that gig! My wife (who went to uni in Leeds and thinks it's a fantastic place) once went to a talk by him about his life and music, and said it was really fascinating.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And as a Londoner (although I don't live there now), it's nice to hear good things about the old place - I've just got used to hearing it slagged off over the years. So thank you for that fumps.[/font][/color]

After years of listening to NS's albums I finally got to see him and his band in Falmouth about 5 years ago. It was absolutely fantastic - the care he puts into the production of his albums is also there in his live sound too. It was absolutely immense. As it happens, I took my ex-girlfriend to the gig - she had never been to a live gig other than a pub band and she was blown away too. A cracking experience!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1411463478' post='2559682']
Great post Fumps. On a morning that finds me in a mentally glum place, you have cheered me up.
[/quote]
Glad I could be of service mate, I had a lovely time that I will never forget. Music to me is still a place of wonder & invention.
And I'm going to do my best to never forget that.

[quote name='Paultrader' timestamp='1411464383' post='2559689']
I've never seen [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nittin Sawhney but have some of his CDs and I have a huge regard for him, his musical integrity and inventiveness. I wish I'd known about that gig! My wife (who went to uni in Leeds and thinks it's a fantastic place) once went to a talk by him about his life and music, and said it was really fascinating.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And as a Londoner (although I don't live there now), it's nice to hear good things about the old place - I've just got used to hearing it slagged off over the years. So thank you for that fumps.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
To be honest I never liked London till now, my opinion was unfair to be honest.
I went down with my better half who knows London well, there was no stress & having someone there who knows how to get by was ace. We stayed in Kensington (Close to Earls Court tube station) had a few pints in the Courtfield pub, Went to a few of the little parks around there. London is lovely, I really enjoyed my time there. I even enjoyed the underground. Although I still find it spooky that people dont speak to each other. A game I developed was to speak & say funny stuff to see who smiles lol......I even got an old guy laughing :) .....It's a nice place. I will definately be going back.

The gig was awesome, I also found that the staff who work in the Albert hall were amazing, I asked questions & got the kind of service you just wouldnt get anywhere else. I had one of the bar staff go on a massive adventure for me for some crisps....which was really funny, bless him for the help.
Thats not even considering the amazing gig. Nittin Sawhney was nothing short of stunning. Miss F even managed to get us 2nd row centre tickets. When I was sat down for the first time I looked behind me & saw the Hall in it's full splendor, I just stood with my jaw sagging open like a reet northern monkey lol.....The acoustics are amazing in there.

All in all I have changed my mind about London, it's a great place, full of lovely, friendly people. It's just differant to where I'm from, but I found if you are just yourself you cant go far wrong.