Why become a member? ×

Stock Parts or Modifications?

Matt_UK

Hi guys

Just ordered a Streamer Stage I (as some of you may know!) and obviously it has the MEC P/J pup set up. I was thinking of maybe replacing them with EMG's or something of that ilk. It got me thinking;

If something went wrong on your bass (electronics or hardware wise), or you just wanted a change for new - would you replace it like for like and maintain its originality or go for aftermarket parts from other manufacturers which may be more powerful/better made etc?

Just a little question I was intrigued about :)!

Thanks

Matt

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='249376' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:34 AM']....Just ordered a Streamer Stage I (as some of you may know!) and obviously it has the MEC P/J pup set up. I was thinking of maybe replacing them with EMG's or something of that ilk....[/quote]
I don't understand this. Why bother to buy a new bass and then spend money on changing significant parts of it as soon as it arrives! Why didn't you buy a bass that you liked in the first place!

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='249376' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:34 AM']Hi guys

Just ordered a Streamer Stage I (as some of you may know!) and obviously it has the MEC P/J pup set up. I was thinking of maybe replacing them with EMG's or something of that ilk. It got me thinking;

If something went wrong on your bass (electronics or hardware wise), or you just wanted a change for new - would you replace it like for like and maintain its originality or go for aftermarket parts from other manufacturers which may be more powerful/better made etc?

Just a little question I was intrigued about :)!

Thanks

Matt[/quote]

I'd stick with the MECs. Both of my Warwicks have them as standard, and I love tone. I'm not sure EMGs would be any better.

Woah there...

It was more a hypothetical question dude...

I've seen a few basses (incl SSI's) with EMG's and Aguilar elecs etc and I was just asking people's general opinion as to whether they would replace broken/faulty parts with original parts or aftermarket alternatives :).

EMG pickups from Warwick would cost a tonne anyway and it would more than likely be a "Custom Shop" jobbie and cost twice as much as the bargaintastic, freakin' awesome growl machine SSI I've bought :huh:

Edited by Matt_UK

[quote name='Machines' post='249472' date='Jul 28 2008, 11:51 AM']Generally any money you spend on upgrades mean nothing when it comes to selling. Some upgrades can even be considered as the opposite, thus lowering it's value from original condition.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought that might be the case and it may lower the value and/or make it worse! thanks for the input :)