Why become a member? ×

Bitsa Tele

Dom in Dorset

I seem to spend a lot of time depping for a country band and fancy some sort of (at least cosmetically) telecaster bass.
As usual I'm on a tight budget and so I'm using uo a few bit's I already had:

A Precision body I bought on Ebay while drunk a few months ago, I used my Squier tele as a template and I'm reducing the thickness a bit to take out some of the contouring and make it more slab like.

It will eventually be given a distressed blue finish.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

• 2 weeks later...

It will have a regular modern P pickup, the one that came in the junk bass seems to be really good, nice powerful output and a surprisingly wide range of tones. I have no idea what it is but it has white casing.
Talking of the junk bass, more on that soon, I bought it for the neck and hardware but the body turned out to be better than I thought...

Ok, it's moved on a bit, I still need to re-rout the neck pocket and get sanding before I get the spray paint out:

Incidentally, this is the junk bass I bought as a donor for neck:

after removing the neck it became obvious that the body was in fact made from wood and not ply as I had assumed.
A bit of stripping revealed this:

So I may have two bases to make.

[quote name='budget bassist' timestamp='1410338075' post='2548194']
Interesting that the neck has the wheel style truss rod adjuster at the body end of the neck, not many basses have those... Could it be something a bit more special than you first thought?
[/quote]

I love those adjusters, probably the biggest advance in truss rod technology ever. I just wish more manufacturers would adopt them although I guess they are patented to Musicman?

The neck is pretty shoddy! It looked cheap and nasty.The fretboard was coming away and it had a nasty kink towards the nut. I've glued it together and managed to adjust the truss by putting a nail through the holes and turning it with mole grips! It was massively bent and stiff (ooh er!) but I think it will survive.
I buffed the headstock today, it's looking like a seriously worn relic.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a good news/ bad news day. The bad news is that the neck (that I already had doubts about) is now firewood. I broke off the truss rod nut, I do have a spare truss rod and partly removed the fretboard to see if it would fit. The original truss was housed in an aluminium box section thing that meant the new rod wouldn't fit . No major problem as the neck was to put it mildly "dubious"
The good news is that the body has moved on :

Edited by Dom in Somerset

• 2 weeks later...