Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn. Please Remove. Olympic white Fender Precision. USA. Circa 1978/81. FT/FS Musicman etc
£900

itsmedunc

The bass I had my eye on has gone so it is now open to all trades. Drop to £775.

Reduced to £800 in light of the dating confusion. Selling below its true value so would expect same in trades. May trade for cheaper P bass plus cash. Stingray, MM Sterling, Westone. All trades really (no 5 string basses etc).

Up for sale, my Fender P bass made at the Fullerton bought off a fellow BC'er Rog2611 earlier this year. Circa 1979. The guitar dater project puts it between 1978-81. It plays and sounds very well. Truss rod adjusts freely.
As far as I know its all original. There's plenty of photo's to look at so if anybody spots something please let me know. Its not a collectors bass and has plenty of chips and scuffs. Has plenty mojo though. It weighs in at 5.1kg and is 42mm at the nut.

UPDATE - There is a pic of the pup and I think it says 81 on the end of the serial, I think this gives a manufacturers date of 1981. After a bit of research I've found that the S9 on the serial donates 1979 but up until 1982 some Fenders were built using older parts. I have also found that on the foil on the back of the scratchplate that there is a scratched on date that reads 4/21/81. So, what I believe we have is a Precision that was assembled by Fender in 1981 comprising of -

1979 neck
1979 body (serial sticker in neck pocket same as headstock)
1981 pups
1981 pots
The plate could be any of those dates but has the extra screw hole. Not all 81's have them so could be 79.
The rest of the hardware unknown but definitely pre 82.

I've had a few requests for trades abroad. I won't ship the bass outside the U.K. unless it is a straight sale and the buyer arranges their own insured courier. There is no hard case available but I will source one at the buyers expense and ship it in that.

Plus postage or collect from BB22SH (would much prefer pick up).

More photo's at -

[url="http://s871.photobucket.com/user/itsmedunc/library/79%20P?sort=3&page=1"]http://s871.photobuc...P?sort=3&page=1[/url]

Edited by itsmedunc

Hi Dunc,

Just to add I brought the bass from Wunjo Guitars in 2007 / 8 (from memory), it was sold to me as a 79 Precision and all parts are as they were when I brought the bass.

I got the train down to London especially to pick it up!

It's a great sounding bass and nice and easy to play, GLWTS

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1407005092' post='2516635']
Hi Dunc,

Just to add I brought the bass from Wunjo Guitars in 2007 / 8 (from memory), it was sold to me as a 79 Precision and all parts are as they were when I brought the bass.

I got the train down to London especially to pick it up!

It's a great sounding bass and nice and easy to play, GLWTS
[/quote]

Thanks for the input Rog

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1407430888' post='2520518']

A very quiet 5.1kg!
[/quote]

11.24 lbs - sounds like a '79 to me :)

Although often amongst the heaviest of Fenders some of them from this era sound fantastic. I had a black '79 that was one of the punchiest P's I've ever played!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1407449165' post='2520782']
11.24 lbs - sounds like a '79 to me :)

Although often amongst the heaviest of Fenders some of them from this era sound fantastic. I had a black '79 that was one of the punchiest P's I've ever played!
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. It does feel and sound like a 70's.

I may do some sort of trade with this for an Orange comb or maybe a smaller Eden setup and sell the Promethean stack that I also have on here.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1407578521' post='2521911']
I'll need to check. I'm pretty sure it's got V30 in it. PCP212 I think it's called.
[/quote]

Cheers. Plenty of interest and offers but nothing definite as yet...

[quote name='podmornica1' timestamp='1408082196' post='2526861']
What tho you think about "as new" Musicman Sterling 4HH, Made in Usa, matching headstock, 2 humbucker PU's, original hard case...
http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/podmornica1/library/Musicman
[/quote]

I've had a few requests for trades abroad. I won't ship the bass outside the U.K. unless it is a straight sale and the buyer arranges their own insured courier. There is no hard case available but I will source one at the buyers expense and ship it in that.

Also, I would be very interested in a Musicman!