Why become a member? ×

Decisions...

adamlunt

So I've recently sold a few pedals and I'm looking to get a nice bass overdrive with a clean blend.
I am just stuck on which one to get...

I'm thinking either the MXR Bass Overdrive or the Darkglass B3K.

I've tried the MXR and really liked it, but a lot of people are raving about the Darkglass stuff.

Has anyone tried the two? Are there any differences tone wise? Is the Darkglass worth the extra dosh?

Or should I just get a Sansamp? :ph34r:

Haven't tried that many, but of the ones I've heard the Aguilar Agro is the one I like the sound of best. Just another one to throw into the mix. Owned a B3K, B7K and VMT, but none of them did anything for me. There's something in the upper mids of all 3 that I didn't like.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='adamlunt' timestamp='1406995223' post='2516535']
So I've recently sold a few pedals and I'm looking to get a nice bass overdrive with a clean blend.
I am just stuck on which one to get...

I'm thinking either the MXR Bass Overdrive or the Darkglass B3K.

I've tried the MXR and really liked it, but a lot of people are raving about the Darkglass stuff.

Has anyone tried the two? Are there any differences tone wise? Is the Darkglass worth the extra dosh?

Or should I just get a Sansamp? :ph34r:
[/quote]

I could not get along with the Darkglass, either the B3K or the Vintage... I'd go with the MXR, I tried one and it's a really cool overdrive.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1406996963' post='2516559']
Haven't tried that many, but of the ones I've heard the Aguilar Agro is the one I like the sound of best. Just another one to throw into the mix. Owned a B3K, B7K and VMT, but none of them did anything for me. There's something in the upper mids of all 3 that I didn't like.
[/quote]

+1 on the upper-mids comment.

As for the Agro... I also sold mine. You can get some really really good sounds, but I found it a bit hard to operate, the controls are too interactive, and I felt I was losing bottom end, surprisingly.

The Darkglass pedals do what they do extremely well but, like any pedal, they're only good if they make the sound you want. The B3K always sounds like a pedal to me. I love the Vintage as it sounds far more like a raging tube amp as opposed to an added-on distortion. However it's extremely expensive.

If you have experience of the MXR and like it I say go for it! I haven't played one but the Juan Alderete demo on Youtube makes it sound fairly excellent!

Yeah its looking more like the MXR tbf… the Darkglass just doesn't seem worth the extra money (seems like there's a lot of hype)

I haven't tried the BDDI yet though and I've heard some tasty audio examples. Any thoughts?

And guys I really appreciate all your responses. I know theres like a million threads online about the whole Microtubes vs MXR thing. I just value the opinions of people who've actually used them.

Darklass has a humungous I mean REALLY HUMUNGOUS high end, way to much for me to even like it.
Some people love it, me - not.
Sansamp BDDI has weak mids (and also too much high end), from Tech21 I really liked VT Bass.

I never tried MXR B.O., but you can always buy online and send it back.