Why become a member? ×

Question about unequal volume on strings S.U.B Sterling Bass

harrypatrickgolding

Hello Bass people,
I have a brand new S.U.B Sterling Bass which is amazing in every way except one way.
All the notes on the E string are far louder than the other 3. Which is very irritating. I have messed around with eq on my bass, amp and pedal and still the problem is there. I obviously want to fix it but how? Does anyone else have this problem(with this bass or any other)? If so, how did you overcome it? Any suggestions? Any ideas?
The bass is S.U.B Sterling walnut satin with rosewood fingerboard and Ernie Ball strings which came with the bass.

Cheers, Harry.

[attachment=166562:sub-bass-print.jpg]

Yeah, the distance between the strings and the pickup affects the loudness from string to string. You often need to drop the pickup a millimetre or so for the E compared to the G string. Try making a single turn on the screw(s) at the side of the pickup, lowering the side under the E or raising the side under the G and note how the volume changes string to string. Continue to make incremental adjustments slowly. Hopefully you'll be able to get a fairly even response across all the strings.

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1405109707' post='2498979']
The trick with stingrays is to get the E+A end where you want it then adjust the D+G end to give a nice even balance, you might find it hard to get right at home so take a screwdriver to practice to adjust the treble end between songs until you are happy :)
[/quote]

Good call Pete, I usually find on my basses that if I get it right at home, live it`s wrong, so now always do this kind of adjustment at practices.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405117899' post='2499061']

Good call Pete, I usually find on my basses that if I get it right at home, live it`s wrong, so now always do this kind of adjustment at practices.
[/quote]

AGreed. Taking a screwdriver to rehearsals with a new bass is mandatory IMO.

Good stuff let us know how you get on, are they active basses or just passive? if it is an active version dont be affraid to sink the pickup into the body reasonably far on the E side and adjust the G side to where it sounds balanced, they have more than enough poke to not need the pickup really close to the strings, you often find there is a point where the output gets better as you move it further away plus it gives more room for slappin' :yarr:

You might also notice the tone changes a little according to a change in string to pickup distance, this is quite normal and becomes a compromise between even volume across the strings; leaving sufficient space between string and pickup so the strings don't hit the pole pieces; getting the tone you're after (bass/mid/treble).

I bought one of these basses in September last year, when I was in the US. The loud E string is a known problem with them, although some people seem to notice it more than others. It goes beyond the "weak G" that Stingrays are infamous for; if it's anything like mine, the A, D and G are balanced fine, but the E booms like a crazy thing.

The best advice I can give, beyond what has already been stated here, is to do a search on talkbass, dig up the threads talking about it, and see what the latest thinking is on the issue. (Make sure you're reading about the Sterling SUB and not the MusicMan SUB which is a different bass) I managed to get it tamed to a reasonable level by a combination of upgrading the strings, adjusting the pickup height, and rolling off the low end a bit on both the bass and the amp, but I'd be kidding myself if I said I was 100% happy with it. As it was, the bass was bought for home practice only, so I stuck with it - if I'd bought it for gigging or recording I would have taken it back.

Are you sure they are definitely Ernie Ball strings on there? A rep. from EB posted that the stock strings were basically the cheapest strings they could get, and that even a change to basic Ernie Ball Slinkies would be an upgrade. It helped a little for me.

There is also a mod that can be done to the preamp to correct an issue with the volume control only being effective over a very small range of its travel. I think it involves shifting the volume pot from before the preamp to after. I figured this probably wouldn't have an effect on the loud E, so I never tried it out.

Please bear in mind, my personal experience is of a bass bought last year in the states - things may have changed since then. For all I know they are now shipping with Slinkies and the modified preamp as standard.

Let us know how you get on. I'd be very interested,

Edited by linear

Hey guys, yeah the short story I tried it and it worked! Thank you.

Long story, I moved the E side on the pickup down towards the body and the bass loss its accidental feature of being slightly distorted on maximum volume. Which I kinda liked, so using my logic I raised the E to its original setting and G side even higher. And now the bass has an even volume across the strings and slight distortion all across the strings giving it a sort of Tim Commerford like sound without a pedal. Which if I turn volume down to 8 its completely undistorted. Sweet!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1405260284' post='2500158']
in future if you are having problems with a different amp getting the sound you want that it might want raising or lowering
[/quote]

:lol:
You've also explained me Geddy Lee's reasoning behind the washing machine cabs: they come with these height regulating feet as standard, thus saving Mr. Lee the extra expense of custom made cabs!