Why become a member? ×

Why do we need so much power?

LukeFRC

I think I'm one of those who is guilty of spending too much time trying to achieve a certain tone/rig. To be honest, I sound like me, and I probably like colour in my tone from amps/cabs and the occasional pedal. I really don't care so much what is flat, what is compressed/where compression is used, and whether my bass sounds 'natural', probably because I don't listen to any music that players who strive for those tones do.

I've conciously taken less time worrying about it and more time trying to find more interesting musicians, playing, or seeing live bands.

In all honesty, the best policy I can have as a customer is if it sounds great with a band rehearing and gigging, and at home, then it ticks the right boxes. There is just too much choice and almost like information overload with the amount of varying viewpoints.

Most players outside of TB and BC have not heard the TC Elec way of having their amps 'loud'...and I bet they are happily playing all the time with plenty of power and plenty of tone. Same with all the brands, I guess.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1404726434' post='2495007']
I think I'm one of those who is guilty of spending too much time trying to achieve a certain tone/rig. To be honest, I sound like me, and I probably like colour in my tone from amps/cabs and the occasional pedal. I really don't care so much what is flat, what is compressed/where compression is used, and whether my bass sounds 'natural', probably because I don't listen to any music that players who strive for those tones do.

I've conciously taken less time worrying about it and more time trying to find more interesting musicians, playing, or seeing live bands.

In all honesty, the best policy I can have as a customer is if it sounds great with a band rehearing and gigging, and at home, then it ticks the right boxes. There is just too much choice and almost like information overload with the amount of varying viewpoints.

Most players outside of TB and BC have not heard the TC Elec way of having their amps 'loud'...and I bet they are happily playing all the time with plenty of power and plenty of tone. Same with all the brands, I guess.
[/quote]

I bought my TC amp before reading about their power management system, and I liked it (to the extent expressed above). I then read the article, thought it was a clever way of doing it, and kept playing the same rig :)