Why become a member? ×

Drummers- what's the magic ingredient?

scalpy

You get gigs because you are a known entity in yourself, I think.
The band leader needs to like you and they may like what you both bring if they consider you a unit...
but sometimes I doubt they can be so picky. They take the date and then fit a band round it and who is
available....

hmmm, very interesting. I feel like I can't contribute because I mainly drum these days. Maybe the best drummers are the ones who can play bass?

Regarding the weird intricacies of timing and tempo that are "groove" - I'm usually fine but sometimes just have off days. It'll be in time but just doesn't feel right. Obviously there are some drummers who never have an off day but I would guess they are rare, so it's probably not fair to judge them based on one performance.

The best drummer I know can play on any size kit and make it sound incredible. He takes a tiny kit out for most gigs, but records with a huge kit. I don't mind either way!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1403898427' post='2487595']
Being bit of an odd job player I get to play with plenty of different drummers. Most are of a good standard and have an impressive cv and qualifications from significant colleges, yet some do just don't cut it and swing like a concrete lamp post, despite everything being technically ok. You know, in time, comfortable volume, nice kit etc but it just ain't happening. One guy I play with however does everything the same to a casual listen but grooves so hard I'll be buzzing the whole day after a gig. The drummer who always has the room dancing and going crazy- the guy who's never done a minutes private practice in his life and is probably the least educated of any musician I've ever played with. So what is it that makes a good drummer, I can't work it out by myself!? Musicianship, a very hard thing to define....
[/quote]

Abe.
This guy has timing, light and shade and when he cuts loose......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y02dFYFAuz0

Abe is the man, certainly. One session guitarist I play with, who also engineers and techs for an international band reckons he can tell how good the drummer is just by how they set up their kit. After pondering the OP a week now and playing with two different drummers in that time, I've refined my preference for a drummer that has that sense of time that allows me to sit back, I hate having to push the band along. Can't define it any better than that though, and what I was after was a qualitive answer to my original post!