Why become a member? ×

Return To Forever

The Funk

I'm going to see Return To Forever tonight at the Indig02. I can't bloody wait!

Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and Al di Meola reuniting to perform songs like [i]The Romantic Warrior[/i], [i]Vulcan Worlds[/i] and [i]Sorceress[/i].

It won't be for everyone but one person's self-indulgent w@nk-fest is another person's bukkakke party.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='244531' date='Jul 21 2008, 04:20 PM']I'm going to see Return To Forever tonight at the Indig02. I can't bloody wait!

Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and Al di Meola reuniting to perform songs like [i]The Romantic Warrior[/i], [i]Vulcan Worlds[/i] and [i]Sorceress[/i].

It won't be for everyone but one person's self-indulgent w@nk-fest is another person's bukkakke party.[/quote]

sh*t! I would love to be there to see that. All those guys were a big influence on me gah, I hope they are coming to Manchester

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='244557' date='Jul 21 2008, 04:44 PM']Wow! Anything to do with Mr.Clarke is going to be something special. I'm also waiting for SMV. If you haven't heard, have a look at www.smvmusic.com[/quote]
Me too for the SMV project. Read the interview they gave to Bass Player mag and it sounds awesome!! They said that they should be doing European dates in the Autumn...we hope!!!

[quote name='The Funk' post='244531' date='Jul 21 2008, 04:20 PM']I'm going to see Return To Forever tonight at the Indig02. I can't bloody wait![/quote]

I soooo wanted to go to this, but can't make it.
I saw them originally in 1977 at Hammersmith Odeon and I still have great memories of that gig.
Enjoy!

p.s. - as it 'appens, around the same time in '77, I also saw the likes of Weather Report and The Crusaders among many others. Great stuff!

I went to the show. It were bloody great.

It was Al Di Meola's birthday. He came on in an Arsenal shirt for the encore, no 54 for 54 years with his name on. Loved the tone he got from his Fuchs rig. He was a bit distracted, a couple of the unison runs with Chick Corea were off - he is supposedly very exacting of his stage craft and of his fellow musos on stage. He was running to get to his axe in time for one tune, when he went off stage for a while. Made it back just in time and did some complex unison lines with keyboard, as you do.

Didn't care for Stanley's tone from his SWR cabs, it was foster tweeter night, clickity clicktiy clack. It would be nice to see him with SMV, Messrs M & V play with more mid range and you can hear the notes, Mr Clarke seems to play muted percussive notes a lot. I suppose if you have Chick Corea's left hand on stage you might as well just do that. :) There was a time he used EV speakers and sounded better. I've certainly heard him sounding better on electric. Last time I saw him he wasn't using the SWR cabs, I think they were EBS. Mica Wickersham posted some pics of Stanley's modified F-1Xs at the Alembic club. BTW, he was using a Gerald Reese Slapstrap on one Alembic. He doesn't use straploks, they are screwed on to the bass.

His upright intonation was effortless, but I 've seen our Stanley many a time, he always does the same upright 'solo', same structure of antics. His fast electric runs are always the same Stanley Clarke licks.

But it were bloody great.