Why become a member? ×

NBD Shergold Marathon 6 Jon Letts Custom

ash

Well here it is fresh out of the Hiscox case - certainly worth the wait. This is a custom build based on my old Shergold Marathon 6 built by Jon Letts. The bass differs from the Shergold as it has slightly wider string spacing than the original. The pickup was hand made by Jon and sounds very near the original. The control plate, pots, strap buttons and 'shield' logo were taken from a long defunct Shergold of mine which had been trashed and then used for various parts. The bass is made from swamp ash using my Marathon as a template. The binding is ebony rather than the usual Shergold plastic! My next project is to use one of my original Shergold 6 string necks and get Jon to build an exact replica of the Marathon.....I need to save up some more cash though....
The bass sounds great and plays really well. The balance is great despite the scale and large headstock and it's very light.Currently it's strung with La Bella Bass VI strings an octave down from a guitar but can be strung B-C.
I forgot to add that the pots are from my old Shergold too!
Some basic iPad pics to give you a flavour.....

Edited by ash

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402597482' post='2475210']
Wow, stunning bass!! Interesting mix of hand-made vintage vibe and custom work, too!
We're going to need proper, extensive pics asap, please! :)
Very nice indeed - excellent work.
[/quote]

I'll do my best, if I can find my camera. I'm recovering from an operation on my Achilles' tendon so I'm not very mobile at the moment!

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1402600214' post='2475261']
I'll do my best, if I can find my camera. I'm recovering from an operation on my Achilles' tendon so I'm not very mobile at the moment!
[/quote]

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear it mate! Get well soon.
If you lived a bit closer I'd offer to look after your new baby for you so you can concentrate on your recovery... ;)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1402660559' post='2475715']
Nice... my sixer is due next month, looking forward to finally getting hold of it!

Out of interest what are the four little holes in the back? looks like they are behind the pickup?
[/quote]

They are screws to adjust the height of the pickup, work well and keep the clean look of the pickup. I'm considering put in La Bella Bass VI flats on if I can find a cheap enough set!

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' timestamp='1402659366' post='2475705']
Superb job , absolutely love it!!
[/quote]

That's a great compliment from someone who I know knows their Marathons! Cheers :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1404134346' post='2489552']
Got it playing great now - I've just bought a vintage Marathon pickup so I may wire it to this to see what it sounds like.
[/quote]

Sound clips if you do, please! In fact, sound clips anyway! I got Waldemar's Hayman 4040 string trees in the post this morning, they look amazing! [size=4]As soon as I can find some suitable screws I'll fit 'em and post some pics. :)[/size]

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1404135912' post='2489578']
I have some Shergold screws knocking about but think they won't fit that. I'm sure you'll find something suitable.
[/quote]

Trawling the net! I'll let you know when it's done. Good work with the sixer, it's great. :)