Why become a member? ×

Stuart Hamm masterclass

Bassmonkey

Met a pal last night who tells me he had just seen Stuart Hamm deliver a 2.5 hour bass masterclass in front of about 20 people at a studio literally around the corner from where I live!!!! Had loads of pics, met and spoke to Stu for 15 mins. Sounded an amazing night. YEAH THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!! I think I uttered the word BUGGER!

Stu is very down to Earth, so it's not that exceptional to see him give masterclasses to small groups. He's been to my former music school in west London several times, given masterclasses and then stopped to speak to us afterwards, and he's been at the London Bass Guitar Show in the past (at the Hartke stand when I met him), relaxedly chatting to punters like me. (He even said he remembered me from one of his masterclasses at the school.)
If you keep track of him, you'll probably be able to see him in person again :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to his session / masterclass at the Bass Merchant in Colchester in 2009 (??).
Again, only about 15 - 20 people went but he played for a LOONG time with oodles of enthusiasm and energy.
I've always been in admiration of his abilities and style, his solo on Steve Vai's Blue Powder first drew my attention to him but seeing how much he loves playing even to a tiny handful of people is a credit to him.
He came across as a really top bloke and it was incredible to see him play with such jaw dropping techniques and also fantastic musicality.
I think he was doing a showcase for Hartke, which included him showing off their wonderful new combo, and the speaker of the wonderful new combo promptly parped and farted during the time he was playing through it, much to the embarrassment of the Hartke rep who was standing a few feet away and trying to decide whether to do something about it or not.

I had to get back home to London ASAP after Stu finished playing and left very sharpish. To this day I wish I'd hung around, bought a few CD's and had a chat with him.
Maybe one day I'll cross his path again and have a chat.

Thanks to the generosity of Stuart Clayton via this site I've got one of his books of transcriptions of a bunch of Mr Hamm's work, that'll keep me busy for the summer!