Why become a member? ×

Cleaning Electronics

cheddatom

A while ago I bought a mixing desk 2nd hand. While it looked OK when I collected it, it soon became apparent someone had spilled some sort of oil on it

Now, I don't think oil would damage many electronic components, but there are a couple of issues (two Auxilliaries don't work etc) which I'd like to troubleshoot. To do this I could do with cleaning up all of the dirt from inside the desk.

So, what's the best way to get rid of gunk and grime from electronics?

Toothbrush or similar to brush off the gunk. Could use the pcb cleaner etc. but I tend to avoid that if possible because it tends to be horrible caustic stuff to be around. I'd try Isopropyl Alcohol as it's benign ( except to rubber - of course don't drink it :-) and a good degreaser.
I don't suppose you oould get the pcbsinto an Ultrasonic cleaning tank ? But that would be good.

In general it's the mechanical bits that may be the problem - pots and switches. Take a look at the Caig DeOxit products - they really work well.