Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

elixir strings

TGEvans

yep been using them for 2 years now and only on my second set, they really last for ages and hold their tone as they don't fill up with crap. the coating takes a long time to even show its coming off and they still have a pretty long useable life once they do start to shed their skin (a bit like normal string life then)
certianly worth the money i my opinion. which reminds me i'm about due to get a new set

[quote name='TGEvans' post='243781' date='Jul 20 2008, 02:15 PM']hi all, looking to put some new strings on my g and l 2500. Been hearing a lot of god stuff about the elixir coated stuff, want to know if anybody has used them, but esecially on a g and l, all feedback helpful,tim[/quote]
Yup, I have them on both my L2500 & Wal and they are great (IMO). Last forever and have a good stable tone that stays pretty much the same from day 1 to when you finally decide they probably need changing.

I changed the set on my L2500 on Saturday and they had been on since I got it 4-5 months previously. They could probably have stayed on longer. I thought they had slightly less bite at the gig on Friday, but thinking about it later it could well have been the room.

I originally started using them on my Wal when I got a free set at the guitar show 4(?) years ago - sorry brain fade. The following year I bought a box at the show and I still have one set left - though I have bought a couple of sets for the two 5's I have bought since last summer.

Elixir only do 4 string sets. You then have to buy a separate B. Try Strings Direct, though a scan of Fleabay & other on-line sites to try to source from the US for the exchange difference is worth a look as they are a bit more expensive then Elites & Ropewounds :)

I have tried others but since finding Elixirs have been a very contented user. Strangely the same cannot be said of the set I put on the Peavy EXP guitar I use for messing around with & recording at home. For bass however I am a happy convert

[quote name='johnnylager' post='245879' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:12 AM']Doesn't it just![/quote]

Ive noticed that the wear and tear on the part of the strings when i pick is about the same as down the other end of the neck over certain frets. You can see gaps in the coating if you look along the string. No big deal and less than i expected.

tone seems to have dropped off a bit after 6 gigs but thats better then any other string ive used (other that TI's) and i recon ill get another 6 gigs at least out of them.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='246009' date='Jul 23 2008, 12:27 PM']tone seems to have dropped off a bit after 6 gigs but thats better then any other string ive used (other that TI's) and i recon ill get another 6 gigs at least out of them.[/quote]
I'm surprised at that. I use a pick and am not the gentlest, and am constantly amazed by how long they last with no noticeable drop in tone. Definitely more than 6 gigs

[quote name='WalMan' post='246508' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:43 PM']I'm surprised at that. I use a pick and am not the gentlest, and am constantly amazed by how long they last with no noticeable drop in tone. Definitely more than 6 gigs[/quote]

Well im not saying they are dead but certainly not as bright and snappy as they were on day one. They do have a lot of life left in them though.
Im not bothered about the coating dropping off and as long as they dont sound dead ill keep using them.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='245160' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:43 AM']yep been using them for 2 years now and only on my second set, they really last for ages and hold their tone as they don't fill up with crap. the coating takes a long time to even show its coming off and they still have a pretty long useable life once they do start to shed their skin (a bit like normal string life then)
certianly worth the money i my opinion. which reminds me i'm about due to get a new set[/quote]

+1

great strings!! used them for years now! tried every other brand out there and these have the longest life of all of them!

the only other strings i use are DR hi beams as they're brighter sounding and a little more flexible but dont last as long or feel as smooth as elixirs!

go for it mate, get yourself a set :)