Why become a member? ×

Relic'ing a poly varnished maple neck?

tedmanzie

Has anyone here relic'd the back of their neck just to make it feel nice, (as opposed to just looking old?)

Every time I pick up a nicely relic'd guitar or bass I find myself wishing the necks on mine were like that. The thick poly varnish on my bass and guitar neck shows no sign of wear even after 30 years!

Yes... I use a green Scotchbrite pad. Wrap it round a sanding block or something similar and carefully rub it up and down the length (fnarr) of the neck. It takes off a small amount at a time so you can be very accurate about how much poly you want to remove. Makes the neck faster and less prone to sweaty hand/neck problems at hot gigs.

Leaves a satiny finish and feels very nice. Looks good, too.

Don't use wire wool - it will shed tiny metal particles which will find their way onto your pickup magnets thus causing qualms, anxiety and erectile dysfunction. You have been warned!

Edited by discreet

I have always used 2000 grit wet and dry. Moisten it a little and just rub it up and down the neck. Takes about 20 secs and it just takes the hard shine off really. Leaves the neck smooth and super fast to play. Wipe off any residue with a clean cloth and you're done.
Piece of pi$$.

I do all my Poly necks this way.
I use 600grit Free Cut paper and a quick finish off with fine wire wool on mine rather than scotchbrite, It's all good though I guess.
Don't go through to wood, there's no need. The neck will eventually become shiny in places again so you'll be able to repeat the process without harming the neck.
B)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1401560659' post='2464800']
do you go right through to the wood?
[/quote]

Nowhere near - as Pete says ^ above ^ there's no need and the neck will get shiny again, so you just rinse and repeat as needed.
It's not irreversible either. You can get the finish back if you want to sell the bass later on.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1401558582' post='2464766']
Has anyone here relic'd the back of their neck just to make it feel nice, (as opposed to just looking old?)

Every time I pick up a nicely relic'd guitar or bass I find myself wishing the necks on mine were like that. The thick poly varnish on my bass and guitar neck shows no sign of wear even after 30 years!
[/quote]

Tape off the two points you don't want to exceed (just after the volute and where the neck meets the body) so you get a clean, even finish.

Then take some Very light grit sand paper, (or you can wet and dry it) and go at it! After you've sanded you'll be left with scratches, I've found to get the really smooth, worn in feel, Halfords sell these pretty cool abrasive polishing pads that have a very fine layer of steel wool in them, they remove scratches and then polish with a microfibre cloth, hey presto worn in ;)

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1401574204' post='2464984']
I always polish my necks with a decent quality guitar polish to make the neck nice and smooth I just can't bring myself to do the scotchbrite thing
[/quote]
Give me shiny every time. After 400 gigs, a satin finish neck is just shining up nicely.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1401565908' post='2464893']
I have always used 2000 grit wet and dry. Moisten it a little and just rub it up and down the neck. Takes about 20 secs and it just takes the hard shine off really. Leaves the neck smooth and super fast to play. Wipe off any residue with a clean cloth and you're done.
Piece of pi$$.
[/quote]

I'm the same... a very fine grit for a short time than a little polish. It feels lovely.