Why become a member? ×

Opinions of Fender Experts - Urge II

GCYPbass

Hello BCers,

I have a chance to trade one of my basses which I don't play with 2005 Fender Urge II Bass (Stu Hamm Signature). I am just wondering if they are collectable pieces and if they will be in vintage/valuable category in 15-20 years. I know that it is not possible to see the future but I am just curious to know what Fender experts think :)

Thanks,

GC

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1401372269' post='2462916']
Is it the 32" scale or 34" scale.
[/quote]

I beleive it is one of the 34" scale ones. I think the Urge 1 models are 32" scale but I may be wrong.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1401372869' post='2462930']

Ah, that's right I think. I payed a 32" years ago it seemed very fast - if you see what I mean.

What colour?
[/quote]

Yeah I see. I read many good comments about their neck. Were you happy with the sound?

The color is very dark bright blue. Fender names it as bright sapphire metallic or something like that I think.

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1401378192' post='2463015']
Yeah I see. I read many good comments about their neck. Were you happy with the sound?

The color is very dark bright blue. Fender names it as bright sapphire metallic or something like that I think.
[/quote]
I don't recall much but I certainly wasn't unhappy.

They haven't hit the collectors' market yet and, to be honest, I'm not sure they ever will.

Whilst collectors like anything with a rarity value they also look for stuff that stays pretty true to the original design ethic of an instrument (there are always exceptions to this of course!) and the Urge basses are quite a long way from a simple Fender J or P.

In the main they seem to sell for less than their equivalent standard models from the same year.

Personally I really like them but I certainly wouldn't look at getting one with a view to a future investment sale :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1401383969' post='2463110']
They haven't hit the collectors' market yet and, to be honest, I'm not sure they ever will.

Whilst collectors like anything with a rarity value they also look for stuff that stays pretty true to the original design ethic of an instrument (there are always exceptions to this of course!) and the Urge basses are quite a long way from a simple Fender J or P.

In the main they seem to sell for less than their equivalent standard models from the same year.

Personally I really like them but I certainly wouldn't look at getting one with a view to a future investment sale :(
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Molan. Very well explained.

So can we say that Rarity vs Original Design here? :)

Edited by GCYPbass

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1401398838' post='2463363']
I saw yours on sale. GLWTS.

Can you get real P bass sound?
[/quote]

I'm only selling because I'm playing 5 strings now. If Fender did a 5 string Urge I'd be all over it!

The P bass tone (with the EQ flat) is a little more trebly than on a regular P - but actually quite like a regular P with a Seymour Quarter Pounder in it.

I'm guessing that is because the pickup is a bit closer to the bridge on the Urge2. But the tone is all there, just drop the treble off a bit and you are back where you should be.

It's quite light too. I have no idea why Fender don't put super light tuners on everything these days.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1401449128' post='2463720']
Actually this thread is making me doubt selling it.

I have a rehearsal tomorrow - I might take the Urge instead and see what happens.
[/quote]

Don't sell If you doubt. My experiences thought me that I should be 100% sure that I will not miss that bass.