Why become a member? ×

I fancy trying short scale

sprocketflup

Ive never had the chance to have a go on a short scale bass, but as my preference seems to be for slim necks and narrow string spacings, I think Id like to try one.

There aren't many music shops in my vicinity, even fewer that have more than one 'token' bass guitars in stock, and the chances of them having summat short is practically nil. So that's that option closed then.

Im not the flushest of folks, so thought Id order one of these - http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp90bk_shortscale_ebass.htm Its short scale, its dirt cheap, it doesn't have my favoured PJ pup setup, but one cant have everything.

Can anyone see any obvious flaws in my cunning plan?

The HB basses have had some glowing reviews on here, but they are the more expensive (granted, still under £100!) basses with Wilkinson hardware/pickups and Ash bodies, so the positive sentiments may not stretch down to this one.

That said, Thomann have a very generous money back period (30 days!) which you could take advantage of should you decide you don't like the bass. Just make sure you don't ding it in any way.

My only suggestion would be that if you can afford it, stretch to something like the Squier Jag which I have tried and is an absolute steal for £190. Same rules apply with Thomann - buy it and if you decide it's not all that you can send it back.

I'd say for the price you can't go wrong. My only observation is that the body looks a bit small, more like a 3/4 bass, say compared to a Squier Mustang or Bronco. Maybe more like a travel bass, but it may be the picture. My only short scale bass is a semi-acoustic, so quite a big body.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1401019153' post='2459137']
By way of a trial, pop on a guitar capo at fret 1 or 2 and downtune.. if it feels good but rattles, go up a gauge in strings. If it doesn't work out you have lost nothing.
[/quote]

This is what I would suggest also.

The problem with buying an el-cheapo short scale is the same as buying an el-cheapo 34" scale. If it is crap it will put you off playing it!
I used to custom build short scales and there is a lot more to them than just being a shorter version of their longer siblings.

[quote name='Prosebass' timestamp='1401021648' post='2459188']

This is what I would suggest also.

The problem with buying an el-cheapo short scale is the same as buying an el-cheapo 34" scale. If it is crap it will put you off playing it!
I used to custom build short scales and there is a lot more to them than just being a shorter version of their longer siblings.
[/quote]

the capo suggestion sounds good.

You say theres more to a shorty than shortness Mr Rose, such as what please mate?

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1401023605' post='2459226']
the capo suggestion sounds good.

You say theres more to a shorty than shortness Mr Rose, such as what please mate?
[/quote]

Its witchcraft, fair maidens and the like..... :D

I found the most important aspect was solidity of construction especially as I would use heavy guage strings to keep the tension up.
Many of my designs were single cut with the body going up to the 12th / 14th fret area.

[attachment=163520:DSCN3234.jpg] [attachment=163521:Pic007.JPG]

I no longer build basses but I am finishing a 30.5" scale 5 string that I started about 2 years ago (I have a very understanding customer who has been offered a refund many times)
For a low 'B' to function on a short scale the construction has to be spot on and has necessitated a very hefty through neck design.

[attachment=163523:Karuna Neck06.JPG]