Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs ( yes. again!)

aj5string

Right,

I want to get some good moulded plugs. Have been using universal ones up until now but lost them... But have been noticing buzzing etc of late. I need to protect my hearing.

Have been doing loads of reading etc. Seems a choice between ACS pros and er15/25s.

What should I get, and with which inserts?

Thanks!

Pretty sure ACS and ER are the same company?
I have the 15db cut filters and they do a great job of 'turning down the volume a bit', although I do find that there is a bit of treble missing with them in.

I have the ER4 earphones, and the moulded ACS earplugs fit perfectly onto them, to create extremely comfortable, superb sounding earphones.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1400349277' post='2453144']
Pretty sure ACS and ER are the same company?
I have the 15db cut filters and they do a great job of 'turning down the volume a bit', although I do find that there is a bit of treble missing with them in.

I have the ER4 earphones, and the moulded ACS earplugs fit perfectly onto them, to create extremely comfortable, superb sounding earphones.
[/quote]

ER is the older range from ACS. I know this because I've just become the proud owner of a pair of ACS Pro 17's. I had them done at the shop in the John Henrys studios. They are the the best fit ever. Yet to encounter serious volume, but they've offered the facility to change out the filters to 20's if need be.

The ACS stuff is an another level when it come to ear plugs. They aint cheap, but what price your lug 'oles?

http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105&Itemid=52

Are the more expensive moulded ones a big step up in sound from the cheaper ER20s and their equivalents? I've tried several different cheaper earplugs (ER20s, Alpine Music Safe, 3M ClearEars) and on all of them I lose too much high end, making that it hard to judge what sort of sound I'm making. This is a particular problem on guitar, as I like a bright, glassy sound and with the plugs in it's hard to tell if I'm actually causing pain to the audience. I also get a weird distorted sounding boominess in the mid-bass frequencies above a certain volume.
If the moulded plugs solve some of these issues I might have to think about them.

I took delivery of a pair of ACS Pro 17s this week, tried them at rehearsal and thought they were great. I've just come back from a fairly loud gig with them and they've blown me away. I get the occasional bit of leakage coming through, but that doesn't bother me and actually shows how well they're working when sealed!

Still nice and clear, I can hear everything with ease and if anything it helped with my (poor attempts at) backing vocals as I could hear myself better!

I have the ACS pro 17's. They fit superbly and are very comfortable. You can hear your backing vocals really well when wearing them.
The negative is that they do cut quite a lot of treble. Certainly they are nowhere near a flat full-range cut. They also cut more than I would like. I may get a set of their 15 dB filters to replace the 17 dB ones.

I have the pro 17's too. Great fit, although I'm struggling to get on with them. Maybe just years of playing without earplugs, or maybe I just don't like the fact that I can hear my BV's !

Been looking to get some single driver IEM's to fit the moulds.