Why become a member? ×

Building a bitsa Jazz Bass?

njr911

Where do I get the bits :)

I'd like an early 60's Jazz (possibly stack knob) in a custom colour.

Ideally I want a Bravewood but I don't have the redies. I was going to go to Limelight but then had a thought about doing my own.

So where do you start?

I'd like it to be as historicly accurate as possible so routing hump on the body (of the correct size and wood)
Rosewood neck (date stamp on the end like old fenders)

Then what pickups and electrics ?

I was going to see if i could get it painted and reliced by Retro on facebook...maybe in Burgundy mist, a very mild relic to look aged rather than used and abused.

Thoughts on cost ?

Cheers

for historical-as-possible bias's ricks fine has made some nice ones.

Otherwise start with finding a nice neck... get a body made... get the bits.....
actually someone on here has done a really nice job refinishing some jazzes - I can't remember who but apparently the fender nitro is dead easy to strip down to the sanding sealer - maybe a road worn jazz and get it refinished?

or just save up and sell things till you can afford the brave wood!

I'm building a bitsa Jazz but with a wildly more modest outcome in mind (as long as it has two Jazz pups and Jazzy-ish electrics, I'm satisfied), and already that modest one will be more expensive than a CV, as each part is bought separately. But I like the work, so I don't care.

Mine: (pricing IMS)
Neck £100
Pups £140
Electronics £230 (John East Deluxe)
Bridge £50
Strings £50
Body wood £20 or more (hardwood)
Templates: £30 or so
Pickguard: £30 or so
Jack: ?

A CV here costs £400

Based on that, I'd guess yours would be more expensive than that again, and maybe even more than twice the price of a CV, if you go the same route of separately bought parts, especially if the parts need to be exactly as specified.

No idea about costs when following another path.

What you're wanting is a custom bass. A 'bitsa' is rather more modest instrument, as your Norwegian respondent has already indicated.

For the record the last 'bitsa' bass I assembled was a passive Jazz earlier this year, which is now my main bass in one of my bands. It's an oly white Warmoth body, a Moses neck, Fender noiseless pickups, lightweight Gotoh machines - all of which were bought here on Basschat. The rest is 500k pots, a .1uF tone cap and a series/parallel push/pull switch on the tone pot. Roll the tone off and it is a full-on dub machine!

That's quite posh for a bitsa though. I have a much cheaper bitsa P which is a Mexican Fender neck, a really cheap Ash body and a Fender vintage P pickup. It surprised me how good it is though, it plays and sounds as nice as any P I've played.

The RW idea sounds good to me, as it's a 60's clone/replica anyways...

You could drop this in...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madisons-Pre-Wired-Fender-3-HOLE-Stack-Knob-Jazz-Bass-Control-Plate-AGED-/170710176709

Maybe's a refin...bingo!

It was Ricks fine 66 Slab project that planted the seed. I'd really like to do it with proper vintage Fender bits if possible.

The Roadworn refinish is a good and easy way to do it but I think it would devalue the RW possibly? Unless I can pick up a cheap RW,

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1400225014' post='2451921']
The RW idea sounds good to me, as it's a 60's clone/replica anyways...

You could drop this in...
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madisons-Pre-Wired-Fender-3-HOLE-Stack-Knob-Jazz-Bass-Control-Plate-AGED-/170710176709"]http://www.ebay.com/...D-/170710176709[/url]

Maybe's a refin...bingo!
[/quote]

Looks good!

A RW would be £500
Control plate £100 by the time you got it to the UK
Refin in Nitro £150

£750...same price as a Limelight :)

Well... let us know how you're getting on with this project, and pics of course!

I been wanting to do a replica of this bass for a long time... was thinking of a CV Jazz for starters...

Got to love sonic blue.

But I've the hots for a RW precision 57 burst at the moment... my birth year bass. No way could I afford a real one!