Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass strings

Badass

I have an Takamine ABG with phosphor bronze strings on it, and I'm finding it a little bright. So I'm looking at some d'addario flats / chromes. Can anyone tell me the differences between flats and chromes, or are they the same? What would be the best gauge for this bass, as I see most of their sets are a heavier gauge than on it now? I don't want to change the nut to accommodate new strings.

More of an upright sound, than twang required ;)

I believe "Chromes" is just the name for D'Addadrio flats, but be aware they are quite high tension (may not be good for the bridge on an ABG) and have a brighter tone than many flats out there.

I would recommend tapewound strings for a more acoustic vibe. La Bella black and white nylons in particular are great strings, but there are plenty of other brands out there too!

Thanks for the heads up. I had read that they may 'pull the bridge up' on an ABG. I didn't know they maybe brighter though, interesting.

I thought about nylon strings, but had a bad experience with them breaking up after a short time, so all bits of the coating were flapping about, although that was nearly 40 years ago. I guess they're much better these days.

Update: Going to try a set of La Bella Black nylon and see how we get on.

Edited by Badass

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought an ESP LTD 5 string acoustic bass, and have just strung it with rotosound tru bass strings. When I tuned up, the bridge pins pulled free, and I found I had to file the slots on the pins to allow the much thicker strings to fit. The tension must be a good deal higher as the neck bent alarmingly. Much faffing about with the truss rod and re-tuning ensued.

The end result, I'm pleased to say, is an incredible difference in both tone and feel. The strings are very smooth and soft feeling, and plucked up by the neck allow a really good double bass tone. I get the feeling that will improve with age.

The only thing I would suggest would be getting it re strung and set up professionally,I certainly wish I had!